Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy with some Mini-G Build questions...

Junior Cadet

New guy with some Mini-G Build questions...

Hello everyone, I’m new here (coming over from the CMP forums) and have been reading up and doing research on the Mini-G for a while now. Lots of great information, but have a few questions as I put my parts together in preparation to send to Mr. Shufflin.

First, what I have so far (mostly spare parts from other builds):
    1) 1.2 million Winchester annealed receiver. It has some light rust under the wood line and could use a touchup and repark, but I’m worried that might change the beautiful original USGI finish.
    2) Internal parts are from CMP, all are post-war
    3) Gas cylinder is USGI (which is what I want, I don’t want to go the drop-down BM59 route). I have a couple of options, but all are in good order
    4) Front sight is a BM59 from Standard Parts (read these work better with the shorter barrel and their slimmer post)
    5) Bolt is a NOS SA
    6) Rear sights are NOS PB
    7) OP Rod is a 77RA
    8) Trigger group is a mix of mostly SA WWII parts
    9) I have a Ultimak rear hand guard/rail for the project
    10) Stock is up in the air, have a couple of options on hand, but might order a laminate one from Dupage

Questions moving forward:

1) Muzzle devices: I picked up a BM59E from Standard Parts. I’m not recoil sensitive, and from what I’ve read recoil isn’t much different out of Mini G compared to the full size version. Muzzle climb would be the biggest advantage to this option. From what I’ve read, this does nothing for muzzle flash, which from a 16.25” barrel looks like a bigger issue, especially in lower light conditions (hunting). Are there any good and cost-effective options for a flash hider (USGI seem hard to come by, and expensive when they do). Does anyone have an experience with the Fulton Armory “Flash Suppressor, Pronged, T-37”? Is this one of the cheap ones people warn about or is it serviceable? I have seen where others here have shortened the prongs on these so they don’t stick out so far, but are they still effective in the shorter modified length at reducing muzzle flash (and if so, how short can they be modified and still serve their purpose?)?

2) I don’t have a barrel for the receiver yet (well, not really… I have a Criterion 308 barrel which I purchased for a future full-size build/swap). I’m leaning toward staying with 30-06 since that is what my other Garands are as well as what I use in my Win 70. Having a common caliber makes sense. I don’t want to cut up a USGI barrel, but also want one which will give a long service life (I hope to use this for many years of hunting and recreational shooting). So my thought is to buy a Criterion barrel and use that for the build (CMP seems to be the cheapest, but the wait is a month+ for most orders). From what I’ve read there isn’t much of difference between 308 & 30-06 out of the Mini G as far as accuracy, range, velocity, effectiveness, muzzle flash, etc, so is there any reason not to go with 30-06 or to go with 308 instead?

Thanks in advance for the advice and input. This forum has been a great resource thus far and I apologize if the above had been covered to death…

Craig

Patriot
    Hi Craig,

Your parts sound fine.

The muzzle brakes do a good job with recoil and muzzle control. Only drawback I have noticed is they are loud for nearby shooters, not for the trigger puller. I haven't noticed a muzzle flash issue from behind the rifle, but I have only shot in bright daylight.

I think the FA flash hider is just the same import as the rest of them. If you really want a flash hider, try to get a USGI hider. I would go with the brake and wait. Some guys have been working to build some gas locks that will allow you to attach normal 30 cal after market muzzle devices. If something like that comes out then you could use any number of flash hiders. Rather than shell out a ton of dough for real T-37.

I went with a criterion on my 30-06 mini-g build. 30-06 HXP is still cheaper than surplus 308, and I have a ton of it so that's why I went 30-06. At some point when the CMP runs out it will be a bit of a different story The criterions are great barrels, and should last as long and be as accurate (if not more) than a USGI barrel. If you don't want to wait for the CMP, Tim carries barrels, if he is out, DGR Restorations sells them as well.

Justin
    Last edited by jbkf1003; 04-18-2014 at 07:09 PM.

I may be mistaken but I thought that Tim won't build you a G from a box of parts. I thought you had to give him an assembled rifle, or buy one of his builds. You might want to check with him on that. Also, I guess you already know that using the Ultimak with your Garand gas cylinder will require that the op rod and Ultimak be modified, but not needed with the BM 59 drop down from Standard parts. I also went with the Garand GC, just because I like that look. Not sure what advice to give on the annealed receiver, would be a shame to refinish that if it looks good. You're going to love the way the G handles, good luck.

1. I'm with these guys, of the repro foreign made T37's I know, they all suck.

2. Just go with whatever barrel you want, I see no reason for either except what ammo you have.

3. I will build from a box of parts so long as you have all the parts. Try and assemble your stuff loosely before you send it so you can see it's all there.

Patriot
    I print one of these out, it seems like once every couple of weeks... Then I just cross out the parts once I acquire them...

http://www.chestnutridge.com/gpic.asp

Junior Cadet
    Thanks for the replies and advice, especially on the brake/flash hider. I’ve never had a reason to use these, so I’m pretty clueless about them except from reading up on them here and on other sites/forums. I’ll stick with the BM59E Muzzle Brake that have, but it looks like it might need a little relief work on the underside as there is some rubbing (and resulting marks) from installing it on the gas cylinder. Is this a common issue or can I leave it as is (my skills and comfort level are limited) and not worry about it? I anticipate using the brake for hunting, but might remove it for range sessions.

As soon as my 30-06 Criterion barrel arrives I’ll proceed with the process. I have some specific questions for Mr. Shufflin regarding my (soon I hope) build, but they would probably be better asked/addressed either via email or in the “Ask Shuff” forum.

Again, thanks for the replies everyone!

Craig

Patriot
    The BM59Es rub. I am using one on a build that is at Shuff's right now. I think they are ok rubbing, but I relieved some material with a dremel before I sent it along and asked Tim to repark it during the build. We'll see how I did relieving it when it comes back.

You can also lathe down the gas lock screws. Either way, it's only cosmetic.

I had to relieve my BM59E brake for clearance as well.

Junior Cadet
    jbkf1003 and Jgun:

How much did you guys remove? It doesn't look like there is much rubbing taking place when I install a standard gas lock screw (and I assume the dimensions of the Schuster are the same as the USGI ones), but there are some rub marks. Do you have pictures of your handy work by chance? If I need to make the mod now would be the time so that I can get it touched up/reparked along with the rest while Tim has it.

Craig