Thread: What do you guys think of this?

Patriot

What do you guys think of this?

What's your guys take on this?

Not sure I would ever trust it being in a fire. I'm sure alot depends on temperature and duration,but wouldn't that basically anneal it and make it softer?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=409820891

Patriot
    Looks like he updated the listing, kinda what I thougt...

I was able to get the receiver tested for hardness. It would not register on the rockwell "C" scale. I was informed that it is dead soft and so have decided to scrap the action . I do not want to take the chance that someone could get hurt by putting it back to firing condition. I am sorry for any inconvenience, I should have had the receiver tested prior to listing it.

I have the same problem, only with a pre-'64 Model 70 '06. I'm not sure if the rifle went through a fire or not, but it was complete, minus the stock. The bore is gone (possibly the deepest pitting I've ever seen in a rifle barrel. The floorplate and trigger guard were still attached, and it was found in a rotten old shed we were clearing out. The floorplate had an odd bend in it, but there were no marks that would make me think it was bent (I think it was warped, honestly). I'm just going to, as I have been the two years I've owned it, just assume that it did get hot. It's sad, because the receiver and bolt look like they are in good shape. Someday, I'll send the bolt and receiver off for hardness testing, and hopefully have it rebarreled to .35 Whelen or 8mm Gibbs.
    "Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."