Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1903a3 stocks

Patriot
    Just teasing. Those of us behind the iron curtain need to stick together.

Patriot
    On a related note. I have kicked around the idea of barreling this myself, but I don't have the tools and don't know if I am going to do enough to justify buying them. I don't think Shuff does any 'smithing on these (at least according to his site). Does anyone have someone they can recommend to barrel this. I can do the rest of the build. Chuck in Denver seems to have good reviews, and he'll work on drill receivers.

Thanks
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    On a related note. I have kicked around the idea of barreling this myself, but I don't have the tools and don't know if I am going to do enough to justify buying them. I don't think Shuff does any 'smithing on these (at least according to his site). Does anyone have someone they can recommend to barrel this. I can do the rest of the build. Chuck in Denver seems to have good reviews, and he'll work on drill receivers.

Thanks
    Justin
    Justin, If I were going to build a drill rifle I would probably barrel it myself, and then send it out for chamber reaming and park. Take some relaxed time with a dremel and really get the receiver metal right-especially around the cutoff. The reason I say park it last is that you probably will leave marks on the barrel from the barrel vise. I assembled my FAL, which now belongs to another BT Brother because cuomo and the brownshirts would have sent me away for 100 years but that's another story, then had it parked by Tim. Came out mint+.
    Axemurder did some nice dremel work on his. Just about un-detectable.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Patriot
    Thanks Punch.

I bought this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=407588956

It's already 'remilled' to the point where the barrel is removed and a new cutoff installed. I was going to go the aim surplus route, but this one was only $40 more and it have the Trigger Guard, ect with it. Plus I was able to select the best looking one from pics of a few he had for sale. Axe Murderer says it might need some cleanup around the barrel threads, I can do that.

I don't have a barrel vise or action wrench. My initial intent was to buy those and rent a reamer, but not sure how much I'd use them. I could see barreling some Garands in the future (so the vice might get reused), but probably not any more 03s. I just wanted an example for my arsenal, I mean collection. I have a 1903 so now of course I need an 1903a3. So now I am thinking of cleaning it up, sending it off to be barreled and reamed. Then I would put it back together, and be reparked. Just wondering who does re-barrels on these. DGR seems to, but I have only bought barrels from him, never had him install them.

I wanted to learn how to re-barrel, but just dunno if I feel that adventurous at this point, and it'll prob cost me more.. Though a drill receiver is probably what to learn on.

I feel you on the brown shirts... I sold my AR and M14 to finance two Mini-G conversions. The second one which will be Mag-fed is at Tim's right now.

Justin

Founding Member
    Punch, did you have any problems with the re-barrel on your Fal? As in stg58 type, to brazilian Embel already mounted with british barrel? I am concerned about the torque it takes to fit it? Og.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    Punch, did you have any problems with the re-barrel on your Fal? As in stg58 type, to brazilian Embel already mounted with british barrel? I am concerned about the torque it takes to fit it? Og.
    It isn't really so much the torque as there is no way to gracefully hold the barrel. I did rosin paper, rosin, and a FAL barrel vise and I couldn't keep it from slipping, which of course rubbed the park. Tim just said the heck with it on his Imbel build, clamped it in the barrel vise and called it a day. It left some aluminum on the barrel but it is under the handguards.
    The torque that they were built to-especially the Imbels-is pretty high-about 200 ft/lbs. I think half that is more than enough.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Founding Member
    Okay, that sounds better..I would pay to have it done FTF, but don't want to ship it...I guess i could hve a barrel vise made here in the shop..And line the barrel cavity with aluminum sheeting..