Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Calibers for the Garand

Junior Cadet

Alternative Calibers for the Garand

The USPS reported that my Garand receiver and Barnett 7mm Mauser barrel arrived last week for Tim to work on when he gets the time. I'm more than comfortable knowing it will return some time this summer with the great quality that I've heard about on several other rifle forums. I'll get to do the finish chambering after Tim pulls the old barrel and mounts that new custom barrel on it and then mails it back to me for reassembly.

First post on this forum but I've been reading on the forum all evening and its been rewarding already for my other garand knowledge as well.

Bruce

Patriot
    7mm Mauser Garand? Sounds interesting. What made you decide on that?

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by bdrake View Post
    The USPS reported that my Garand receiver and Barnett 7mm Mauser barrel arrived last week for Tim to work on when he gets the time. I'm more than comfortable knowing it will return some time this summer with the great quality that I've heard about on several other rifle forums. I'll get to do the finish chambering after Tim pulls the old barrel and mounts that new custom barrel on it and then mails it back to me for reassembly.

First post on this forum but I've been reading on the forum all evening and its been rewarding already for my other garand knowledge as well.

Bruce
    As a firm believer in "alternative" calibers for the M1 Garand please keep us updated with details of the build. The 7mm Mauser is a great cartridge.

Greg

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    7mm Mauser Garand? Sounds interesting. What made you decide on that?
    It actually was a gift from a fellow shooter. Its my first 7mm cartridge as well so I'm looking forward to the new challenges.

Bruce

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
    As a firm believer in "alternative" calibers for the M1 Garand please keep us updated with details of the build. The 7mm Mauser is a great cartridge.

Greg
    I really Like the 7mm mausers, they have a very long history, and make a fine sporting weapon..I would believe it to shoot like a soft- 308w round in garand...Should be nice...

Junior Cadet
    Tim has returned my 7mm Mauser Barnett Barrelled receiver on Saturday. Looks great and its timed perfectly. Now I just need to run the finish reamer into the chanber to close the deal. I just wanted to let people know about the fast-turn-around time. (I'm bdrake but for some reason I've lost the password to the account so I created another.)

The rifle went right back together with just a bit of relieving of the stock and upper handguard to deal with the heavier barrel profile. By Saturday night it was back together and sitting on the shelf awaiting the time with the reamer.

Bruce

Junior Cadet
    Oh, and starting load will be a 140gr Remington Soft Point over 40gr of IMR4895 so I'm confident it will be a soft shooter but hopefully a X-counter for rifle matches.

Patriot
    As said before, please update with any info you care to share.

Greg

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majbdrake View Post
    Oh, and starting load will be a 140gr Remington Soft Point over 40gr of IMR4895 so I'm confident it will be a soft shooter but hopefully a X-counter for rifle matches.
    That Bullet choice sounds good for 7mm mauser load

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    That Bullet choice sounds good for 7mm mauser load
    Its what my local gunshop had on hand and it is in the middle of my preferred 130gr and 150gr Sierra Matchkings so I figured I'd give them a try. They are also 25% cheaper than the Sierra so if they are good, I'll stay with them until the X-s drop out of the black.

Bruce