Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Calibers for the Garand

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by majbdrake View Post
    Now I wonder if Tim could pull these replies from this thread and place it in another thread so that we could continue this conversation but without blocking the original intent of the thread which was about Tim's turn-around time on his work.

Bruce
    New thread would be great. Think alternative chamberings for M1's could be of interest to many.

Greg

Junior Cadet
    Thanks Tim for shifting this over to another thread. I didn't expect you to make it a sticky though! I'll try to upload some photos of the brass soon as well.

Bruce

Patriot
    Bruce, Sounds like your moving right along. Once you set the gas port size have you considered using a gas screw like the Shuster for final tuning? Also, it appears there are no issues using the 7mm round in enblocs?

Greg

Junior Cadet
    Greg,
    I've already decided that I'll be using a Schuster plug on this rifle as the GI plug makes all the gas to go back a bit more than I like. Ejection pattern is everywhere currently and I'd like to tune it down to a nice pile of empties on the ground. Luckily, I already had one on the parts bin for this rifle when it was a 30-06.

The 7mm Mauser (7x57) cartridge loads and feeds fine through the clips. Its like the happy medium in case lengths between the 30-06 (7.62x63) and the 308 Win (7.62x51). There is no need for a spacer block in the magazine well like what is normally seen in a 308 Win conversion.

I think this will be a project to get her shooting well. I owe you all some photos when I have some free time around evening schedules for the kids.

Bruce

Junior Cadet
    Good afternoon shooting today!

I installed a Schuster Gas Plug and the Champions Choice polymer stock the other day and finally got to the range to dial it in.

Same load as before - 40gr I4895 and a 140gr softpoint gave me a 3MOA grouping at 100 yards with no stock bedding/lugs and with just a hasty sling slung over a concrete bench.

Next trip, I'll try to do a ladder test to see how minimal powder loads for function tests with the .095 gasport operate and to see if a lighter load is the sweet spot to drop it below 3MOA.

Considering I regularly shot 6MOA with the rifle's last barrel, I am very happy so far with the progress this rifle is making.

Bruce

Junior Cadet
    post-9467-0-25990300-1393201757.jpg

Here is a photo comparing 3 Garand clips loaded from left to right with 30-06, 7x57 and 308 win.

Bruce

Patriot
    Bruce, thanks for update!

Junior Cadet
    Glad to provide you with it. I wouldn't have been able to do this project without Tim's assistance in swapping the barrels out in such a quick manner.

Bruce

Junior Cadet
    7x57 group 1.jpg
    38.5gr of IMR4895 is the best of a ladder test from today. I went from 40gr down to 38gr in .5gr increments. The target was shot on a SR-1 Reduced Highpower Target at 100 yards.

Junior Cadet
    7x57 boxed.jpg
    200 rounds of 7x57 all staged for the next trip to the range/match.