Thread: Pretty Stoked, just bought a SMK-M

Patriot

Pretty Stoked, just bought a SKS-M

Just waiting for my FFL to call to pick it up. It's the closest thing we can legally have in NY to an AK. It's an SKS that's factory made by Norinco to take AK mags. Anyone have any experience with them? Now I need to pickup some mags for it. I know nothing of AKs or AK mags. What are good 10 round mags? US made is always a plus. I ordered 2-10/30 US Palm mags from Bud's. Heard they are GTG? I heard some AK mags are tight in these. It comes with 1 10round Chinese Steel mag. It's got the ugly monte-carlo stock. That's the first to go, for a standard SKS wood stock.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Justin

Sorry to tell ya but you can't use a regular SKS stock on a "M" or "D" model.The mag well is completely different.
    You can find some for ak mags . Make sure they say for "M" or "D" models
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Check out Yooper John's SKS web sight for all the info you need.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Patriot
    Yeah I know the mag wells are different, I'm sure it can be widened for the M model, it's just whether or not I want to fill in the duckbill front part or not. I like projects.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    Just waiting for my FFL to call to pick it up. It's the closest thing we can legally have in NY to an AK. It's an SKS that's factory made by Norinco to take AK mags. Anyone have any experience with them? Now I need to pickup some mags for it. I know nothing of AKs or AK mags. What are good 10 round mags? US made is always a plus. I ordered 2-10/30 US Palm mags from Bud's. Heard they are GTG? I heard some AK mags are tight in these. It comes with 1 10round Chinese Steel mag. It's got the ugly monte-carlo stock. That's the first to go, for a standard SKS wood stock.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Justin
    Justin, it sounds like you have a 'paratrooper model' of sks..Shorter barrel version,that Monte carlo stock might be the only legal one you can have in Ny.. besure to check the law if you will have it out in public..here in tn. it is required to be on there if you are using Ak type mags..Mine uses the big-billed type of mag to span the hole for loading..I also had the Lug cut off for the Bayonette, after all that close, it is time to draw out the hawgleg..This changed the points system for a flash hider, or compensator..After all if Bill -linton had not made a Chinese.deal, we would not have any of these combat veterans..Sks or Ak-47 rifles.

Patriot
    Thanks OG.

Yes it's one of those 16" SKS-M. No Bayonet lug, ect. Which makes it legal in NY. Changing the stock to a normal fixed stock is GTG in NY, tacti-cool stocks would be a no-go with a pistol grip or collapsible stock. There might be some 922r issues if it's not in it's original configuration, but with US mags, I'd only have to replace 2 parts to get to the 10 imported part limit... So many ridiculous laws...

Founding Member
    Yes, 922r, I had to read thru them a couple times..I bought mine with the bayonette attached, then the regs changed..It is a spike would make a decent screwdriver, and i have seen them used for tent pegs in rocky ground..Glad you can still own one up there behind the iron curtain..they are very good shooters and highly reliable..The shorter models were very scarce down here..Range is the same as the ak rifle some even shoot better..You are aware of different diameter ammo suppliers...Shoot china or russian stuff, or yugo..