Thread: Loads for Mini-G - .308 Win

Junior Cadet

Loads for Mini-G - .308 Win

I just received my Mini-G from Shuff, and am wondering if I need to develop a special load for it. The Mini-G has the BM-59 flash hider on it (I don't know if that effects accuracy or not).

I am currently reloading 41.5gr IMR 4064 with a Nosler 168gr Custom Competition (HPBT). In my M24 that is achieving sub MOA at 100 yds.

That load shot about 4 MOA at 100 yds with the new Mini-G. Is that as well as can be expected, or can the group be made tighter?

I have bullets from 125gr to 220gr, and Varget and IMR 4064 powders.

As a new reloader, and even more new to the Mini-G, any and all assistance is appreciated.

Hmm, I do like heavy loads in my G's. I wouldn't be happy with 4 moa, I'd try something else but 168 grain rounds are no more than I use. I also tend to shoot the hot end of the spectrum with my rifles. It's odd because intuitively you'd think lighter powder round but I've found the opposite with all but one of mine. What do factory hunting loads do out of the rifle?

Junior Cadet
    I haven't tried hunting loads yet. I have some Remington Core-Lokts I will try.

This was posted in the CMP Forum Reloading section:

The current Federal GMM loads in .308:

168 SMK 42.8 gr IMR 4064
    175 SMK 41.7 gr IMR 4064

I have some 168gr SMKs, so I will make up that load - that's 1.3 gr heavier than my load with the Noslers.

Thanks!

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Hmm, I do like heavy loads in my G's. I wouldn't be happy with 4 moa, I'd try something else but 168 grain rounds are no more than I use. I also tend to shoot the hot end of the spectrum with my rifles. It's odd because intuitively you'd think lighter powder round but I've found the opposite with all but one of mine. What do factory hunting loads do out of the rifle?
    I salaam to you!

I took out some 150 gr Remington Core Lokt and some 150 gr Winchester Super X and the groups tightened up, more so for the Super X.

The Super X is leaving the muzzle at 2820 fps. I will load up some 155 gr Nosler CCs to that velocity and try them out.

Since the Mini-G has a Shuster plug, as long as I adjust it properly I shouldn't have to worry about pressure and the op rod. Is that correct?

THANK YOU for the help. The Mini-G is fun to shoot!

You are correct, keep the schuster in check and shoot what commercial ammo you want.