Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Local politics gun nuts.

Local politics gun nuts.

So I'm walking out of my shop today and a gentleman pulls into the driveway. I welcome him and find out he works over at the local Rod and Gun club in our area. He begins to tell me that some township planning manager who lives on a lake about 7 miles away is proposing a noise ordinance because he doesn't like the sound of the boats going fishing and the party's on his lake. Here's the kicker, he added a provision for firearms! He wants to prohibit the discharge of firearms on all residential property in Somerset Township and have multiple restrictions on fireworks. His ordinance has a limit of 55 decibels of noise on any given edge of your property. I was aghast!

I have gone to battle, got with all my neighbors and we are going to the board meeting tomorrow at 7pm to voice our opposition. We have 5 households going to speak out. My neighbors are all contacting the people they know to get more. We live here for a reason, we like freedom. The "lake people" are mostly from the bigger city's and use it as vacation homes and some retire here or decide to just live there year round. At 55 decibels you couldn't run a farm tractor for Pete's sake.

I've absolutely had it with infringements on personal freedom and I intend to make it plainly clear that I have had it. Noise is a funny thing, a car door can annoy someone if the wrong person is closing the door. There are times when noise is out of hand and seems to infringe on others but that line must be approached delicately and in a focused manner. Broad laws that kill people's ways of life and personal freedom do not float with me.

Tim I've gone to a few meetings related to different things.Got all concerned to go.When they saw all of us there they postponed the meeting,This has happened twice.
    GOOD LUCK.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Sounds like that guy only wants HIS freedom to be protected. More and more of this in the last few years as the entitlement generation begins to rear its ugly head.

That's like buying a farm house next to a pig farm,then complaining about the smell.
    There are some very expensive condos on the Milwaukee river,right next to a tug boat dock.(they run them 7/24,smell diesel exhaust,noise from the engines.)
    In the buyers contract it states you have no recourse for the Tug boat ficility.smart?
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LEAD POISON View Post
    Tim I've gone to a few meetings related to different things.Got all concerned to go.When they saw all of us there they postponed the meeting,This has happened twice.
    GOOD LUCK.
    Yes, this also happened here,too..But then we caught them the next time?

Founding Member
    I am anxious to know how it goes! Good luck!

Leaving in 7 minutes.

Good Luck, carry a big stick
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

So we raised hell about the fireworks/noise ordinance proposal, lots and lots of it. There was not one person in favor of this proposal and I have to admit to being most vociferous. The board said that they would, at the next meeting, make that the last tabling of the subject and if nothing changed there would be no ordinance.

Are you ready for this one though? The firearms ordinance was proposed because one guy was having trouble, by Lake Lee Ann, with a group of kids target shooting and being reckless. They were proposing an ordinance to prevent ANYONE from firing a firearm on residential land in the entire township because of one incident EVER. I must admit to losing my cool but many others were just as passionate. I told the guy "you would have me lose my business and put me and my wife on the street because you are having trouble with one group of kids?" He was very nice and said he respected that and seemed to yield. Many many people said, out loud, we are sick and tired of government intrusion, there seems to be no law that you people don't like. We have HAD IT! I told them straight up that I will not be infringed upon period! It is my understanding that the firearms law is completely off the table.

Great news, would have loved to have been there to see you in action !!
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"