Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Generator Recommendations???

Portable Generator Recommendations???

Just had the power off again after a storm, seems like it happens a couple times a year anymore. It was only off 24 hrs but with a freezer full of beef I was starting to get concerned.
    Anyone have any recommendations for a portable generator, brands etc? My pockets arent deep enough for a permanant whole house generator, just looking for something affordable, portable. Like to be able to run a few lights, furnace, fridge, etc
    Thanks guys
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    Honda small engines are the top of the line, their generators are no different (But I won't buy a honda, just like won't buy a toyota...), but Generac is more than acceptable. I have had a 4000W Generac since 2006 and it still runs like a champ.

Justin

Are you looking for 220 or 110? If you can stand 110, I love my Kipor. Very quiet for camping and starts when I need it. It's now about 8 years old and running strong. It's a Honda clone for less than half the money.

If going 220 I have a Craftsman cheap that is a 6000 watt unit I converted to propane and it runs directly off my pig. I think that has been going strong now for 10 years.

Do yourself a favor and install a transfer switch tied into circuits in your home. Beats running extension cords into the house. Couldn't tell you what make mine is but its 6000 watt, tri fuel capable (propane, NG or gasoline) with a 11 HP Honda engine. Black Honda, not Red Honda; pretty loud but I point the exhaust away from the neighbors and don't run it late at night or real early in the AM. I can run my fridge, microwave, boiler, about 60% lights and outlets too.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

I have a Honda portable .15 & 30 amp outlets. It does all I need. Will run my travel trailer refer, tv, micro wave,etc.
    I strap it on my ATV. I use all my electric tools in the woods. It's so quiet nobody hears it.
    I carry it in the back of the truck in winter, plug a battery charger in to it.
    I will say I have not used it here at home, But I have a pig tail made to do so, for emergencies.
    It would probably run the old ladies giant vibrater, MAYBE.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Just going wit 110, I looked at Hondas but Damn they are pricey. I wondered about the Generacs, I think the engines are all made in China anymore which I'm not thrilled about

Hey LP, I would look into a bigger generator, ya gotta keep the ball and chain happy
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Just going wit 110, I looked at Hondas but Damn they are pricey. I wondered about the Generacs, I think the engines are all made in China anymore which I'm not thrilled about

Hey LP, I would look into a bigger generator, ya gotta keep the ball and chain happy
    Yah, that's the reason I got my kipor 3000. I would do honda but not if I can get the same for less money.

This baby handles my 5th wheel air conditioner and that's all that matters.

http://www.hitchsource.com/generator...187hoC_onw_wcB

You may or may not have a 220 well pump though or heating. I would want a 220 unit if that's the case. If you run such a unit on LP or NG then most any of them do good.

Get the biggest generator you can afford. It's better to have excess wattage than not enough. Get the total wattage of all the appliances, lights, etc you want to run and go from there. Also be sure to include the "start-up" wattage of appliances.
    I agree with mellowman and get the transfer switch. It wouldn't be fun trying to run extension cords from the generator to the house in the middle of a blizzard.

I have a very old 6000W Briggs & Stratton generator. (The instructions gives estimated wattage of various items. One such item listed is a black & white TV !!!!!) I use the 240V twist lock and run it to the transfer switch where it splits the 240V to 2-120V circuits. Each 120V circuits has 3 breakers on it. The hardest part was figuring out the wattage of all the things I wanted to hook up and to balance the load on the circuits.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

No well pump,I'm on town water. Thanks for the link