Thread: Maximum grain bullet in .308 M1 garand

Question Maximum grain bullet in .308 M1 garand

I'm waiting on the Post office to deliver Tim's barrel install and parkerizing on my M1. What is the recommended max grain bullet I can shoot without harming the rifle. I have a lot of .308 Super X 180 grain stocked up for my bull barreled Savage, but is this too heavy for the M1?

Patriot
    If you use a Schuster Adjustable gas plus the sky is really the limit. It can be tuned to bleed off enough gas to only cycle the action and keep the gas port pressure low. With a standard plug you really want to shy away from anything over 170gr.

There are other plugs out there, Garand Gear for example, have non-adjustable plugs that will increase volume and keep pressure down that way, but the Schuster gives you the widest range.

Justin

Thanks Justin purchased the Garand Gear one and my local gunsmith said he links more problems back to those non ported plugs. But he's an all around guy not an M1 expert so I just left things how Tim put it together and added a metal Gi spacer and bought 149gr. 7.62 x 51's to lighten up the pressure on the op rod.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcote View Post
    Thanks Justin purchased the Garand Gear one and my local gunsmith said he links more problems back to those non ported plugs. But he's an all around guy not an M1 expert so I just left things how Tim put it together and added a metal Gi spacer and bought 149gr. 7.62 x 51's to lighten up the pressure on the op rod.
    Hi, I just tested my Type 2 build, it has the 1967 PB italian barrel, I was using some 149-50 surplus, and did not notice any thing unusual, except the noise was less that the 06 i had been firing? What type spacer are you refering too? Spacer, On the gas plug or in the mag well?

Behind the gas plug is a small metal disc I guess blocking some of the gas from exiting quickly. Not really sure I don't build them I shoot them lol.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick" Theodore Roosevelt

"Any society willing to give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and will lose both" Benjamin Franklin

"Admiration is the daughter of ignorance" Benjamin Franklin