Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cool Link - Garand cycling in slow motion

Interesting quote in that video ....

Here is a side by side comparison of the bolt of an AR and the M1 Garand.
    The M1 bolt opens at a much more explosive rate than the AR.
    The cyclic rate of the Garand is about 25% faster than the AR.
    So basically this is telling me that with the right trigger (something like a Garand equivalent Geissele SD-3G) you could drop rounds faster than an AR? How utterly fascinating.

I mean could you imagine the reactions on the line / 3 gun ranges when you do this ...

... with a Garand (or a Mini-G)?
    The Maxims ....
    14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"*
    34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
    37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by centurion20000 View Post
    Interesting quote in that video ....

So basically this is telling me that with the right trigger (something like a Garand equivalent Geissele SD-3G) you could drop rounds faster than an AR? How utterly fascinating.

I mean could you imagine the reactions on the line / 3 gun ranges when you do this ...

... with a Garand (or a Mini-G)?
    Okay, why is this trigger legal..Was it not firing AUTO? My Ar certainly does not fire that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    Okay, why is this trigger legal..Was it not firing AUTO? My Ar certainly does not fire that way?
    Look at his finger. He IS pulling the trigger for each shot.
    The Maxims ....
    14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"*

Founding Member

Rapid fire

Look at his finger. He IS pulling the trigger for each shot.
    Okay, you got me, so whats different? the pull or the sear? It kind of acts like the old bumpfire with the spring?

Okay, you got me, so whats different? the pull or the sear? It kind of acts like the old bumpfire with the spring?
    ]

Well, it's not a bump fire in any way shape or form. It IS a light (3#) trigger with a very short pull and an extremely short reset. A stock trigger has a long pull and reset by comparison.

That guy in particular has a semi auto cyclic rate of about 430 rounds/minute. And as far as I'm concerned, that's more than fast enough for anything I need. (I have one; I'm just not THAT fast with it)
    The Maxims ....

Founding Member
    ]

Well, it's not a bump fire in any way shape or form. It IS a light (3#) trigger with a very short pull and an extremely short reset. A stock trigger has a long pull and reset by comparison.

That guy in particular has a semi auto cyclic rate of about 430 rounds/minute. And as far as I'm concerned, that's more than fast enough for anything I need. (I have one; I'm just not THAT fast with it)
    Oh, so you have purchased that trigger? Three Lbs??Pull, I only use the Ar platform once in a while, I paid a lot more for that ammo during the stock-up phase....As far as you know, then the standard trigger cannot perform the same feats in firing...I 'm just asking because i like to tinker around..

Founding Member
    Oh, so you have purchased that trigger? Three Lbs??Pull, I only use the Ar platform once in a while, I paid a lot more for that ammo during the stock-up phase.....I 'm just asking because i like to tinker around..
    Okay, just finished reading up on the ar triggers..I guess I will try to buy a used rock river arms trigger set, and see what it is all about..Both my rifles are Mil spec as far as triggers count? I see that the Others are re-engineered, both for speed and lock-up.. I just would like to feel better about the one's I use, when i shoot..No wonder that rifle was firing so fast...Opinions on triggers run pretty high over on Cmp's "ask each other"? I have wondered why anyone would pay $300.00 for just the trigger assy, but it helps in competition, so it is fair gains..

Oh, so you have purchased that trigger? Three Lbs??Pull, I only use the Ar platform once in a while, I paid a lot more for that ammo during the stock-up phase....As far as you know, then the standard trigger cannot perform the same feats in firing...I 'm just asking because i like to tinker around..
    Yes I have a SD-3G trigger and it runs rounds through it like a goose on meth and laxatives. So yeah it's FAST. It's 3 pounds in the middle. Using the bottom of the trigger takes it down to about 2.5# (for long range precision) and the top is 3.5 (and a shorter travel). Why would someone pay $250 for a trigger? Because full auto is $10k and up; this gets you close

I'd just love to see a Garand equivalent. And yes I love tinkering too.
    The Maxims ....

So darn cool!

Founding Member
    Yes I have a SD-3G trigger and it runs rounds through it like a goose on meth and laxatives. So yeah it's FAST. It's 3 pounds in the middle. Using the bottom of the trigger takes it down to about 2.5# (for long range precision) and the top is 3.5 (and a shorter travel). Why would someone pay $250 for a trigger? Because full auto is $10k and up; this gets you close

I'd just love to see a Garand equivalent. And yes I love tinkering too.
    The Cool Factor is surely there. He did not have any trouble striking the target in rapid fire..Thanks for the details..