Thread: A Few questions

Junior Cadet

A Few questions

So for the last.... well as long as I can remember iv had this idea of finding the perfect "general purpose" rifle. One which could be easily maneuvered in the dense southern Louisiana brush, adequately powerful for the meanest of wild bore in close quarters, highly reliable, light enough to pack all day without annoying my football induced bad shoulder, and which could insure that mine remains mine during hurricanes when folks seem to loose their minds. I know other platforms technically could fit the bill, but the mini-G seems absolutely perfect in my eyes.

So a few questions.

Accuracy: 3 inches at 100 yards with hand loads is good enough for me. Reasonable expectation?

Reliability: should I fall off a log crossing a canal and get water and a little mud on the rifle, will removing the majority of outward debris allow it to continue to function? (And yes that has happened. Twice.)

Life span: are there any proprietary parts of which I should have spares to insure a long shooting life?

Looking forward to replies. As soon as I can get myself back to louisiana and financially capable I will be having one of these babies built. Thanks guys! And thanks Tim for building my dream rifle!

The Mini-G can be completely field stripped, actually completely stripped without tools which is a big plus. If it gets filthed up pop the trigger group, give the whole thing a bath, and you're good to go. Replacement parts are plentiful and inexpensive and I can't think of any part in particular that fails with any frequency. No pesky little springs or pins. Good choice.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by swampcrawler View Post
    So a few questions.

Accuracy: 3 inches at 100 yards with hand loads is good enough for me. Reasonable expectation?
    It's no less accurate than a standard garand.

Reliability: should I fall off a log crossing a canal and get water and a little mud on the rifle, will removing the majority of outward debris allow it to continue to function? (And yes that has happened. Twice.)
    Not sure how to answer that other than to say that the garand was designed to be used by guys who lived in holes for days or weeks at a time, ran through water, and crawled through sandy beaches. If you put your hunting rifles through more than that, I don't want to hunt with you.

Life span: are there any proprietary parts of which I should have spares to insure a long shooting life?
    The only parts that are changed from your standard garand are the barrel, op rod, follower rod, and spring. The only part that will wear out before you do it the spring. Not a bad idea to have a couple spares.
    [SIGPIC]

Junior Cadet
    Not sure how to answer that other than to say that the garand was designed to be used by guys who lived in holes for days or weeks at a time, ran through water, and crawled through sandy beaches. If you put your hunting rifles through more than that, I don't want to hunt with you

Got a chuckle out of this. I was just unsure if the change in barrel length resulted in any reduced pressure to the gas system and hence reduced reliability. Like with the krink type AKs that use a booster

Founding Member
    If your going to soak the rifle regularly, might suggest any cuts on stock are properly sealed...But dunking the rifle, don't believe you could hurt it , unless the gas cylinder was full or some water in it...Down in the swamp, you will not be concerned with the works freezing in sub- temperatures.. After all it worked well in Korea, and for a time in VN..I shot my .308 type 2 yesterday, and notice less blast from it than the 06, right away..

Patriot
    Tim uses an adjustable gas plug so you can tune your rifle's gas system. Once it's setup it's just as reliable as the original. I like you, was concerned about spare parts, I just had Tim make me a spare mini-g oprod, and I bought a few spare oprod springs, The springs are just Wolff Tanker Garand springs readily available from your favorite internet gun catalog house. I figure I'll never wear out a barrel, and don't see an issue with the follower rod breaking.. Other than that as was stated all other parts sights, stocks, gas cylinders, ect are all standard Garand fare and readily available. Heck you could even replace the receiver if need be.

Justin

[QUOTE=jbkf1003;46645]Tim uses an adjustable gas plug so you can tune your rifle's gas system. Once it's setup it's just as reliable as the original. I like you, was concerned about spare parts, I just had Tim make me a spare mini-g oprod, and I bought a few spare oprod springs, The springs are just Wolff Tanker Garand springs readily available from your favorite internet gun catalog house. I figure I'll never wear out a barrel, and don't see an issue with the follower rod breaking.. Other than that as was stated all other parts sights, stocks, gas cylinders, ect are all standard Garand fare and readily available. Heck you could even replace the receiver if need be.

Justin[/QUOTE

Justin, good planning ahead on the op-rod. What if Tim gets so wound up thinking about obama and all the rest of the libtards and goes and has a stroke. I don't think anyone else can bend an op-rod like him.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Founding Member
    [QUOTE=Punch The Clown;46646]
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    Tim uses an adjustable gas plug so you can tune your rifle's gas system. Once it's setup it's just as reliable as the original. I like you, was concerned about spare parts, I just had Tim make me a spare mini-g oprod, and I bought a few spare oprod springs, The springs are just Wolff Tanker Garand springs readily available from your favorite internet gun catalog house. I figure I'll never wear out a barrel, and don't see an issue with the follower rod breaking.. Other than that as was stated all other parts sights, stocks, gas cylinders, ect are all standard Garand fare and readily available. Heck you could even replace the receiver if need be.

Justin[/QUOTE

Justin, good planning ahead on the op-rod. What if Tim gets so wound up thinking about obama and all the rest of the libtards and goes and has a stroke. I don't think anyone else can bend an op-rod like him.
    I just bet you are right about Tim bending metal and his skills, But No ONE can do anything about ob, not that they haven't tried??

Patriot
    [QUOTE=Punch The Clown;46646]
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post

Justin[/QUOTE

Exactly. But I was more worried about the local town console putting a hit out on him, or him falling down into a gully and being eaten by a bear on a hunting trip....

Junior Cadet
    I just got my Mini-G yesterday, love it. Great advise on the op rod springs and spare op rod. I think I will order one up and send it out to Tim to have bent up with my next Mini-G.