Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BM59 gas block on Mini-G

Junior Cadet

BM59 gas block on Mini-G

What is the purpose of the BM59 gas block on the Mini-G? Is it for a more straight op rod, straighter push back on the action? Info curious? Any pictures? Thanks.

Patriot
    It leaves more space between the oprod/gas cylinder and barrel, some people like that look, it also allows the use of an ultimak scout rail without modification to the rod or rail and allows the use of BM59 muzzle devices, of which there are several variants. I may be missing something as well.

Justin

Less bend in the op rod and you can use the BM59 bipod.

I can't believe John Garand didn't do it 25 years earlier. Much more practical design.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    I can't believe John Garand didn't do it 25 years earlier. Much more practical design.
    I have wondered the same thing. That being said it seems every part of the design of the M1 seems to have had a purpose in the mind of the designer but unfortunately most are lost to the inventors and support staff passing. Sure would have made making op-rods a lot easier. The people at Beretta had the advantage of only having to product improvement rather than the total design from scratch.

Cadet
    I would imagine the bend in the op-rod allows it to act more like a spring which would help with durability

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsie View Post
    I would imagine the bend in the op-rod allows it to act more like a spring which would help with durability
    Not a chance. Otherwise the M14 op rod world have been longer, thinner with more bend and no op rod guide. I would ask Tim if he has built a Garand with a BM59 GC and a straighted out Garand op rod!

Quote Originally Posted by mxlmax View Post
    Not a chance. Otherwise the M14 op rod world have been longer, thinner with more bend and no op rod guide. I would ask Tim if he has built a Garand with a BM59 GC and a straighted out Garand op rod!
    No I have not.

One of JCG's considerations for the bent oprod might have been bayonet interchangeability with the 1903. A dropdown cylinder would have required a new bayonet design, or a muzzle device like the tricomp to mount the bayonet on.

A lot of the M1 Garand design was driven by legacy requirements, and it's been demonstrated that the Army Ordnance folks (a rather conservative lot) were heavily involved in the requirements process. Caliber .30 (30-06), is another example of a legacy requirement for the Garand, due to the large stockpiles of ammo left over from the Great War and commonality with the 1903, BAR, and Browning MGs.

All you'd have to do is put a bayonet lug on the bottom of the gas cylinder.