Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BM59 gas block on Mini-G

What about the bayonet's loop that goes around the muzzle, centered on the barrel axis? A lug under the BM59 gas cylinder would be further off-axis than the lug on a 1903 or Garand.

Sometimes guys who work requirements get stuck on little details like that and lose sight of the bigger picture during development programs. Just look at what the Army Air Corps did to the high-performance Bell XP-39 prototype that turned it into the dog that was the P-39. Some AAC requirements guy at Wright Field got fixated on coefficient of drag, and, voila, no external air scoops for turbo-supercharger or intercooler were allowed in the final design because they created drag, even though removing those features significantly reduced engine output, especially at higher altitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    What about the bayonet's loop that goes around the muzzle, centered on the barrel axis? A lug under the BM59 gas cylinder would be further off-axis than the lug on a 1903 or Garand.

Sometimes guys who work requirements get stuck on little details like that and lose sight of the bigger picture during development programs. Just look at what the Army Air Corps did to the high-performance Bell XP-39 prototype that turned it into the dog that was the P-39. Some AAC requirements guy at Wright Field got fixated on coefficient of drag, and, voila, no external air scoops for turbo-supercharger or intercooler were allowed in the final design because they created drag, even though removing those features significantly reduced engine output, especially at higher altitudes.
    Well duh, I screwed that one up. Gotta be a way.

When you have access to a machine shop, there's always a way...

Anyway, the point I was trying to make before I drifted off on the tangent was sometimes designers/engineers get fixated on minor issues and lose sight of the big picture of the product's design. Overall, though, the Garand was pretty well fit for its intended purpose and operating environments, despite the oprod design.

Patriot
    I'm sure you could get an M5 Bayonet to work, as it is just keyed for the gas plug and does not have a ring around the bore. It would just sit a little lower on the rifle. But the m5 was developed after the Garand, and reusing current bayonets probably was a design consideration. As Shug said, It's things like not having to purchase all new bayonets that make the difference between "America's most beloved battle rifle" and an obscure prototype lost to history.

Justin

B1147-6.jpg
    Last edited by jbkf1003; 12-28-2015 at 08:47 AM.

the 500 lb gorilla that gets ignored is the original gas system of the m1. the first 4 years of the garands service life, till about 1940ish, the m1 was a gas trap. you couldnt do a drop down if you needed to trap the gas at the muzzle to push the op rod as the first 55k gas trap m1s did. once they went from gas trap to port and piston, sure, you could do a drop down, but you would have needed to make major changes in issue gear as mentioned above, as well as major production changes, possibly delaying the m1s universal field issue by a year, maybe two. considering global events in 1940, a delay in rifle production would have been unacceptable

Quote Originally Posted by koreanwargrandson View Post
    the 500 lb gorilla that gets ignored is the original gas system of the m1. the first 4 years of the garands service life, till about 1940ish, the m1 was a gas trap. you couldnt do a drop down if you needed to trap the gas at the muzzle to push the op rod as the first 55k gas trap m1s did. once they went from gas trap to port and piston, sure, you could do a drop down, but you would have needed to make major changes in issue gear as mentioned above, as well as major production changes, possibly delaying the m1s universal field issue by a year, maybe two. considering global events in 1940, a delay in rifle production would have been unacceptable
    . Tim can rebend an op rod in a few minutes. I like Shug's theory.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    . Tim can rebend an op rod in a few minutes. I like Shug's theory.
    Punch,
    I was thinking about how to configure a little different Mini-G. I already have a Baretta BM59 so a mag fed MiniG would be sort of a duplication.......I was originally thinking about a Mini G using one of Jim Thompson's SS 308 Wilson barrels and a drop down BM59 GC for something a little different. Now I am also thinking about a full length Garand using the 308 Wilson SS barrel and the drop down BM59 GC and a 3" brake just because. Who knows, maybe even a full length mag fed 308 SS barrel with a drop down GC (if Tim would do it) just for the he!! of it. Call me crazy.
    Randy aka MXLMAX
    Last edited by mxlmax; 02-20-2016 at 02:17 PM.

Tim built a Garand a few years ago for "The Hawaiian". It was some odd length specified by the owner-something like a 21" barrel. Boy did it look good.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau