Thread: Question

Question

Just purchased a Webley Mk1V no 1 .38S&W pistol. from Allen's
    Has anybody heard of converting these to any common caliber?
    These are kind weak.So no 50 cal suggestions.
    Last edited by LEAD POISON; 06-14-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Patriot
    The only way I've seen them go is the other way with a .22 cal conversion kit. The design of the gun does not lend it self to any conversion. They are fun to shoot as is but the surplus ammo they came in with is pretty much dried up. They have become a bit of a collector piece and are way more expensive now then in the past. I like the .455 one but almost all of those have been converted to .45 ACP. And they are all very stout firearms. The lock work on them is built like a bank vault!
    Mix

I had a 455. Used half-moon clip and acp's. Shot fine.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by mixmaster View Post
    I like the .455 one but almost all of those have been converted to .45 ACP. And they are all very stout firearms. The lock work on them is built like a bank vault!
    Mix
    There has been some information on the converted to .45ACP pistols that suggests these are not all that safe unless handloaded to .455 pressures http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.c...-AUTO-RIM.html

RE 38 S&W It seems of late this has become hard to find in stores and expensive.
    Death is but another path we all must take.

Patriot
    I agree with the man as far as he went,But like any conversion it helps if you check the cylinder throat AND the the area of the forcing cone.Even original Colt single actions vary greatly in this area and when I make a conversion cylinder for 45ACP these are areas that need to be checked if you are using Mil ammo. The reason any Colt can handle any long Colt cartridge is the factor pointed out by the man, it's in the construction of the bullet NOT the powder load. Soft lead bullet squeeze down much easier than ball ammo. I disagree with him on the 38S&W these were loaded with a nitro cellulose derived powder and only the very early ammo was black powder although like any government they used up the ammo in stock/reserve. My revolvers were proofed to 7 tons(Brit) and 5 tons. Your revolver is quite safe with the current 38 S&W loads as these are loaded to be safe in old black powder guns.
    Mix

Thanks guys for all the info.
    I was really hoping to convert the 38/200 into a more common cal.
    I was thinking .380 or 9mm MAK.Would cylinder reaming for a step?Ahh just thinking.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Patriot
    LP
    The S&W 38 is a very common cartridge. The 200 stands for the bullet weight and of course the .38 is for caliber. The only thing I found is that the .38 S&W can cost twice what you pay for the .38 spcl. The cartridge can be reloaded a number of times, so if you reload the cost can come down.
    Mix