Thread: 03A3 Parade drill rifle....1943 barrel??

Founding Member

03A3 Parade drill rifle....1943 barrel??

Okay, I had this rifle for years, even cleaned it yearly, tried pushing lubriplate grease down the barrel..just checked it again yesterday, It is STILL CORRODING inside..it was a decent two groove barrel, inspite of being chromed..yesterday, I used Blackpowder solution to clean the barrel followed by Non-phosphate glass cleaner... washed out with fine machine oil...It really is priming my pump, as it looks to be converting into a sewer pipe... The rifle had been converted while it was nearly new, and had the firing pin welded up...So how did this crap get stared in the barrel??

I think lubriplate blows. Try RIG.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Founding Member

WHY, has it failed u before??Lubriplate white grease, for assembly of engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    I think lubriplate blows. Try RIG.
    Ha, You might just be right about it..Before that I, had used the white pasty stuff from outers that came with the rod kit?? I did have a bottle of rig, i believe , it was in a small screw top jar, and I used it on my auto pistols..this fight with the old war barrel has been going on...NEVER had so Tough a time with corrosion..I thought it might be from blanks, but don't know if thats the source, as they could have changed bolts, the rifle had a brand-new cut-off on it and it was not chromed... Seems the lasst foot of the barrel is worst..Tonight, i will go home and shove the rod down it again....

I don't know if this will help after all this time. I can't believe there is still corrosive salt in your barrel but just in case this how I clean my flintlock.

I get a bucket of hot, nearly boiling water and add some Ivory dish washing liquid. I remove the primer hole from the barrel and stick that end of the
    barrel in the bucket of soap and hot water. I run the cleaning rod and swab up and down through the barrel sucking the hot water through the primer hole.
    Soon the barrel gets too hot to hold from the hot water. Next I do the same thing all over again, but this time with a bucket of hot water to rinse out the soap.
    Then I let it air dry for while and when the inside of the barrel is dry I swab the barrel with gun oil. I've been doing this for 25 years and have no corrosion in the barrel.

If you want to try this procedure you would have to put the muzzle into the hot water and run the cleaning rod swab from the receiver end of the rifle.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Founding Member
    I took the time to push the cleaning rod back down the barrel again..it is bronze brush, coated in light turbine oil made for small motors.