Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on relocating thinking south west or east please give some input

Advice on relocating thinking south west or east please give some input

Currently live in New York ( need I say more!) and am considering my options to move to a more gun friendly state. Some of my criteria are:
    1) gun friendly
    2) low taxes
    3) modest cost of living
    4) mild weather - little to no snow or freezing weather
    5) low crime rate
    My wife and I are both medical professionals so job concerns are covered pretty well

Does ambiance matter? You aren't going to get any of that on the east coast unless you move down to at least SC. In the south, you're covered but SW leaves only Texas, Arizona and NM. Of the three SW states, I like the higher elevations of Arizona. I don't like brown so I wouldn't consider Texas.

NC has high taxes, as well as the highest gas tax of the SE states. The firearms laws are getting better, but county sheriffs still have authority over handgun permits and CCW licenses. The weather here on the eastern side sucks. More humidity and high temps in the summer and constant thunderstorms and rain during the winter, with the occasional snow storm that shuts everything down because of a lack of equipment.

I cannot wait to move home to Ohio, where there are real trees with leaves, 4 seasons and no sticky hot summers.

I'm also an offroad vehicle enthusiast, so if I was planning on moving and had the options you talked about, I'd be out west where the public lands are still open. The east coast is a crowded, over legislated mess.
    Josh
    M1CC #628
    GySgt/USMC
    6116/0931

Quote Originally Posted by redheep View Post
    NC has high taxes, as well as the highest gas tax of the SE states.
    I don't want to hear any complaining. They just raised ours to the highest in the country - 82 cents a gallon
    [SIGPIC]

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redheep View Post
    The firearms laws are getting better, but county sheriffs still have authority over handgun permits and CCW licenses.
    Luckily NC is a "shall issue" state:

"The sheriff shall issue a permit within 90 days after receipt of a complete application to an applicant who:
    • is a citizen of the U.S. and has been a resident of the State for at least 30 days immediately prior to filing the application;
    • is at least 21;
    • does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun;
    • has successfully completed an approved firearms safety and training course which involves the actual firing of handguns and instruction in the law governing the carrying of a concealed handgun and the use of deadly force;
    • is not ineligible under federal or state law to possess, receive, or own a firearm;
    • is not currently or has not been adjudicated or administratively determined to be lacking mental capacity or mentally ill;
    • has not been discharged from the armed forces under conditions other than honorable;
    • is or has not been adjudicated guilty or judgment continued or suspended sentence for a violent misdemeanor;
    • has not had judgment continued for or free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing for a disqualifying criminal offense;
    • has not been convicted of an impaired driving offense within three years prior to the date on which the application is submitted."

The Sheriff's office does the investigation but they hold zero power to deny a CCH permit if all above conditions are met. It is not a county CCH permit, but rather a State permit issued via the Sheriff's office. The pistol purchase permit IS a county issued item. A side note: if you have your CCH permit you are not required to undergo a NICS check for any firearm purchase while the permit is valid (5 years).

Both the CCH and the pistol purchase permit can be appealed to the Chief District Court Judge if the Sheriff denies the application.

The BIG thing that I hope you keep in mind regarding moving to a more "free" state... remember why you decided to leave and embrace the culture of your new surroundings. This is especially true if you move to NC!

A long the Mississippi in Wisconsin Has all your requirements Except snow and temperatures in winter.Just plain beautiful.
    Fantastic fishing & The states biggest deer come from that area.
    Just a thought.
    LP
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
    Currently live in New York ( need I say more!) and am considering my options to move to a more gun friendly state. Some of my criteria are:
    1) gun friendly
    2) low taxes
    3) modest cost of living
    4) mild weather - little to no snow or freezing weather
    5) low crime rate
    My wife and I are both medical professionals so job concerns are covered pretty well
    Texas: Here's why
    Gun friendly - Own what you want and shall issue CCW (should be Vermont style carry IMO)
    No income tax
    Definitely a modest CoL here. (When you look a real estate you'll go into reverse sticker shock)
    Mild weather - but we do get a good summer.
    Low crime - depending on what part of Texas. Also has some of the strongest protections for private property / using force.
    The Maxims ....
    14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"*
    34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
    37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'

Quote Originally Posted by cuppednlocked View Post
    Luckily NC is a "shall issue" state:

"The sheriff shall issue a permit within 90 days after receipt of a complete application to an applicant who:
    • is a citizen of the U.S. and has been a resident of the State for at least 30 days immediately prior to filing the application;
    • is at least 21;
    • does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun;
    • has successfully completed an approved firearms safety and training course which involves the actual firing of handguns and instruction in the law governing the carrying of a concealed handgun and the use of deadly force;
    • is not ineligible under federal or state law to possess, receive, or own a firearm;
    • is not currently or has not been adjudicated or administratively determined to be lacking mental capacity or mentally ill;
    • has not been discharged from the armed forces under conditions other than honorable;
    • is or has not been adjudicated guilty or judgment continued or suspended sentence for a violent misdemeanor;
    • has not had judgment continued for or free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing for a disqualifying criminal offense;
    • has not been convicted of an impaired driving offense within three years prior to the date on which the application is submitted."

The Sheriff's office does the investigation but they hold zero power to deny a CCH permit if all above conditions are met. It is not a county CCH permit, but rather a State permit issued via the Sheriff's office. The pistol purchase permit IS a county issued item. A side note: if you have your CCH permit you are not required to undergo a NICS check for any firearm purchase while the permit is valid (5 years).

Both the CCH and the pistol purchase permit can be appealed to the Chief District Court Judge if the Sheriff denies the application.

The BIG thing that I hope you keep in mind regarding moving to a more "free" state... remember why you decided to leave and embrace the culture of your new surroundings. This is especially true if you move to NC!
    NC is a shall issue state, but the requirements are still up to the county sheriff's office. People who live in Onslow county jump through a million hoops to prove that the deserve a license that people one county over in Jones county do not. It's not a state certified process. They can't take away from the minimum, but they can add to the requirements. Where I'm from in Ohio, the application process is the same regardless of the county you live in.
    Josh
    M1CC #628
    GySgt/USMC
    6116/0931

Thanks thus far and keep the info coming!
    Thus far I have posted here and on one other site where the opinions tend to be of shall we say a more respectable caliber than some forums.
    The majority opinion seems to to steer clear of North Carolina. Even though they have the highest taxes of the locales I have researched the rate is still several percentage point below what I currently deal with.
    A couple of the states ( SC,Fl ) have some cumbersome regs regarding my profession that make them go to the bottom of the list.
    By far the opinions seem to favor greatly Arizona and Texas.
    Any and all opinions are appreciated.
    To help you guide me, hunting is not a priority for me, ccw/2a issues are. I do like to be on the water but could live without it ok.

Thanks thus far and keep the info coming!
    Thus far I have posted here and on one other site where the opinions tend to be of shall we say a more respectable caliber than some forums.
    The majority opinion seems to to steer clear of North Carolina. Even though they have the highest taxes of the locales I have researched the rate is still several percentage point below what I currently deal with.
    A couple of the states ( SC,Fl ) have some cumbersome regs regarding my profession that make them go to the bottom of the list.
    By far the opinions seem to favor greatly Arizona and Texas.
    Any and all opinions are appreciated.
    To help you guide me, hunting is not a priority for me, ccw/2a issues are. I do like to be on the water but could live without it ok.