Thread: Whats your guys take on shooting reloads with split necks.

Patriot

Whats your guys take on shooting reloads with split necks.

I got done loading some 308 ammo (125gr Hornady SST over H4895). I don't recall the charge weight off the top of my head, but it's not hot. About 25% of my loaded rounds (lake city once fired brass) has some small neck splits after loading. Would you guys shoot these? I don't really want to pull them and risk deforming the polymer tip during the process. They seem to hold neck tension.

I think this brass was MG fired, and didn't hold up to the resizing well.

Would you guys shoot them? I'd load them one at a time while sighting in my Mini-G and not risk recoil setting the bullets back.

You hear all kinds of horror stories of how a small split can pressure cut your chamber, ect, ect, I don't see how that would be the case shooting 10 of them. I don't see how there would be a safety issue either, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Justin

I would not, my reloading person would never use them.

10 rounds of ammo vs the price of your rifle .... no brainer ... ditch the rounds or use a collet puller and recover components
    The Maxims ....
    14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"*
    34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
    37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I never do.Once a case neck splits,it's off to the junk brass bin.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Just curious, did you anneal the cases first? As they say, "Life is short but death is longer".

Trash 'em.
    !

Patriot
    No. I've never annealed any cases.

It was all once fired, but the brass I had I think was MG brass and usually they have a large chamber, I had it processed for me, to remove the primer crimp, have it resized, trimmed, and primed. A few still needed to be resized again in my sizing die, to be it back to spec. I think all that processing took a toll on it.

I have a box of 1000 of these, I'll just have to check the case neck multiple times, I usually check it when I select the brass, and at final inspection.

Justin

No no no no no
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    No. I've never annealed any cases.

It was all once fired, but the brass I had I think was MG brass and usually they have a large chamber, I had it processed for me, to remove the primer crimp, have it resized, trimmed, and primed. A few still needed to be resized again in my sizing die, to be it back to spec. I think all that processing took a toll on it.

I have a box of 1000 of these, I'll just have to check the case neck multiple times, I usually check it when I select the brass, and at final inspection.

Justin
    Justin, the rifle case might burn your chamber or The neck..Then again it might work on your bolt or your hand...Saying that I have fired a few .38 specials to discover cracked necks..But they are not nearly as hot or powerful as rifle cases..Look at what a tiny primer holes does when it burns the bolt face??..I still have some Isreal 1980 match ammo,.308 nato that is supposed to be brittle cases, I have it marked for SHTF only..