Thread: Question?

Flyingdevildog

Question?

Hello
    I have a question.

what is the temp. of the inside of the barrel when fired?

I am thinking of adding a coating, like a oil, but is not a oil to the inside of my barrel, but it needs at least 130 degrees to start to seal.

Thanks

Dawg

Patriot
    What are you looking to coat it with? Any particular reason? After some firing the outside of the barrel will get too hot to touch, so I'm sure it will get way above 130F on the inside.

depends on how many rounds you fire and how quickly. Without having any data to support it, I'm willing to say that 130 dF would easily be surpassed with 8-12 rounds rapid fire
    [SIGPIC]

Flyingdevildog
    Thank you

I am looking to use an additive that is use on machines to reduced friction.
    but needs at least 130 df to bond to the steel. if it works, less friction= cool barrels
    but does need some heat to work.

View Profile
    Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Question?

« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:10:06 pm »

ReplyQuote
    ModifyModify

What I am looking at to use is a product I have use in my truck, you add it with the oil, but it treats the metal not the oil.

It is a anti-friction metal conditioner that penetrates 3 to 5 microns deep into the microscopic pores of ferrous based metals. The treated surface is now denser and smooth, thereby reducing friction by up to 75%. This surface conditioning is extremely durable withstanding engine dry start and lubrication starvation problems. The result is minimum metal wear, giving maximum engine, gear and equipment life.

Reducing friction will release energy previously expended to overcome ordinary mechanical resistance. This energy is now available as a positive force, working to increase power and performance.

It is use in GAS OR DIESEL ENGINES, AUTOMATIC OR STANDARD GEAR BOXES, FREON AIR-CONDITIONING UNITS, TRANSMISSIONS,
    TRANSFER CASES, TURBO CHARGERS, POWER STEERING, WHEEL BEARINGS, DIFFERENTIALS, CV JOINTS, TURBINES, OUT DRIVES, BOATS,
    CONVEYOR BELTS, FARM MACHINERY, COMPRESSORS, ELECTRIC MOTORS, PUMPS, HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS.

is not a Lubricant Fortifier such as Graphite, Moly or TFE
    cannot build upon itself
    will not change critical tolerances
    will not effect oil filters

So I need to find out how hot a rifle barrel got, to see if it would start the bonding to the inside of the barrel,
    It should not effect how the bullet goes through the barrel, expect to go with less friction.
    And it should not take very much, maybe some patches with some on, and run through the barrel a few times at first, then maybe once again every 1000 rounds.
    Last edited by Flyingdevildog; 01-01-2015 at 07:18 PM.

What are you trying to accomplish by this? To me you are seeking a solution to a problem that doesnt exist
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I'm leery of the fact that your spelling and wording and (lack of) punctuation is something that any 3rd grader would get correct. Why should I trust your product??
    Jon

Patriot
    I think although a neat idea, I wouldn't chance it. The product isn't designed to be used for this application. I have no idea what would happen if the product was exposed to 50,000 PSI and open flame. Will it combust (if it does pressure may spike too high)? What affect it will have on the barrel's accuracy, could it etch the barrel or change it's properties at all? Could the rounds be 'too' easy to push down the barrel and thus not all the powder is burned before the round exits the bore? Will the projectile's velocity be slower, faster, or more inconsistent than normal. I think if your looking for a more durable barrel I would look into getting a Criterion Chrome Lined M1 barrel.

Justin

Clean your barrel with CLP it will coat the metal with PTFE what ever that is?
    But I know from using this for many years once applied nothing sticks to it. Hence it leave a coating of something.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdevildog View Post
    Hello
    I have a question.

what is the temp. of the inside of the barrel when fired?

I am thinking of adding a coating, like a oil, but is not a oil to the inside of my barrel, but it needs at least 130 degrees to start to seal.

Thanks

Dawg
    Are you talking about this stuff?
    https://www.shootersolutions.com/molyfusion1.html

I've used it, it works very well on muzzle loaders, makes mine very easy to clean. I cannot vouch for any increase in performance as I've never chrono'd the before and after.