Thread: Parkerizing a Winchester 1897

Junior Cadet

Parkerizing a Winchester 1897

Tim,

Just have a question about a new project I am planning.

I traded my .45 Beretta PX4 for a Winchester 1897 (12 gauge, takedown). Saw a picture on AR15.com about one that was featured in Shotgun News, and looking to mimic it. I'm chopping the barrel down to 18.5" and hopefully going to have it threaded for Remington chokes (what I use in my hunting shotguns, but it depends if I'll have enough thickness to do a brass bead without adding a base to the barrel; if not, I'll just leave it with a cylinder bore). I'm looking at Parkerizing, since I already have an 870 Police done in NP3 Plus. Right now, it doesn't have a finish, as most of the bluing is gone. With it taken apart, should be a very compact package.

What I got now...

What I want to turn it into... minus the sling.

Wanted to see if you would be interested in doing it at the same time as I send in my Lithgow M1 Garand for complete Parkerizing and new stock. I've been putting that off for awhile now, but figuring to put some of my tax refund towards it. The Garand shoots nice, but looks like poop.

Thanks for your time.

I parkerize other rifles, don't modify or smith on them, but they have to come to me completely torn down with no two parts attached to each other and with all pins and springs left at home with you.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    I parkerize other rifles, don't modify or smith on them, but they have to come to me completely torn down with no two parts attached to each other and with all pins and springs left at home with you.
    Thanks Tim.

In regards to Parkerizing, would if be better to do it before the barrel work or after? 11.5" of barrel will be removed, and then the gunsmith is going to add a brass bead and thread in Remington choke tube threads. Not 100% on whether the bead will be removable, but figured I'd ask to get a better idea. He said it doesn't matter for the barrel work, but I'm going to sent it to him first to go over before I have any refinishing done (don't want to have to change a part, then have to get it redone to match). If it will mess up the silver bead on the barrel now, not really a big deal.

I am considering to do a nickel plating (similar to NP3, done by CCR) on the internals/bolt/other small parts, so that might work out well. It would likely be the barrel, receiver, trigger guard, and magazine tube (maybe a few smaller parts).

By the way, saw your pictures on Facebook. Beautiful country. Nice to see stuff like that still in America.

Park after barrel work but before you put on the brass bead. It was beautiful country! It's shocking to see the 7' wide Rio Grande with no fence at all! No wonder we are full of illegal immigrants from a 2nd world country. I'm surprised Mexico has anybody left there.

Junior Cadet
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    It's shocking to see the 7' wide Rio Grande with no fence at all! No wonder we are full of illegal immigrants from a 2nd world country. I'm surprised Mexico has anybody left there.
    I hear you... I had two cousins that were in Border Patrol. One became a teacher and the other moved to the DEA. Both said it was like draining Lake Superior with a wet-vac.

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post

DAMN YOU, now I NEED one of those...

Good luck with your project, it sound awsome!
    Last edited by jbkf1003; 01-14-2015 at 03:48 PM.

I have one that needs refinishing too. Big fun to shoot wax slugs from it.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"