Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosin Nagants? M38-M44 rifles

Founding Member

Mosin Nagants? M38-M44 rifles

tell me about these,M44, russian, I see some now at $219- $229 each? how do you like yours? I hate it when i get these urges...

I had several of each. still have 3 or 4. I bought them back when they were as low as $59 and ammo was under 10 cents a round delivered. Now things have changed. Still a cheap milsurp that is fun to shoot. worth having at least one. The M38s are hardest to find, especially with 38 wood. M44s are nice, but the bayo is a little stupid looking. The 91/30s are the least expensive, but they are about 9' long.

Generally, don't expect much. They were build by the millions and built fast and cheap. it's a solid bolt action rifle, that's about it. All the ammo is corrosive so don't be expecting to find any shiny bores. I have a few that I still want to sell if you are looking.

I have a M44 and a 91/30, both with rough bores (didn't get cleaned). I'd let the pair go cheap - $200 plus shipping
    [SIGPIC]

Founding Member

C&r Stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    I had several of each. still have 3 or 4. I bought them back when they were as low as $59 and ammo was under 10 cents a round delivered. Now things have changed. Still a cheap milsurp that is fun to shoot. worth having at least one. The M38s are hardest to find, especially with 38 wood. M44s are nice, but the bayo is a little stupid looking. The 91/30s are the least expensive, but they are about 9' long.

Generally, don't expect much. They were build by the millions and built fast and cheap. it's a solid bolt action rifle, that's about it. All the ammo is corrosive so don't be expecting to find any shiny bores. I have a few that I still want to sell if you are looking.

I have a M44 and a 91/30, both with rough bores (didn't get cleaned). I'd let the pair go cheap - $200 plus shipping
    Ow Sean, now that hurts..I want em, but i did not follow thru with getting my c&r permit..I wonder if I'm too old to get it now? I do own a 91/30 but it is rough.....i only found one m44 to look at this weekend...Og.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    Ow Sean, now that hurts..I want em, but i did not follow thru with getting my c&r permit..I wonder if I'm too old to get it now? I do own a 91/30 but it is rough.....i only found one m44 to look at this weekend...Og.
    I have a C&R can't live without it.I Let it laps awhile ago,I had to reapply, and I'm 73. It's great to have in these instances.Go for it.
    Sean's deal is great.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LEAD POISON View Post
    I have a C&R can't live without it.I Let it laps awhile ago,I had to reapply, and I'm 73. It's great to have in these instances.Go for it.
    Sean's deal is great.
    Thanks LP, i was not aware that you were older than I am..Yes, Sean's deal sounded good to me...Too bad I cannot FTF with him to buy em?? Or do they require license up there for personal FTF purchases??

In Wisconsin face to face is okay. Must be. Over 21.state resident, Not a felon.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

As the new owner of Sean's M44's I can say this .... they're really good rifles and will be passed along to my son. He loves the fact that they are so light. (He hasn't shot them yet so he is not quite familiar with Mr Recoil)

If Sean's selling, BUY THEM. Top notch to deal with.
    The Maxims ....
    14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"*
    34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
    37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by centurion20000 View Post
    As the new owner of Sean's M44's I can say this .... they're really good rifles and will be passed along to my son. He loves the fact that they are so light. (He hasn't shot them yet so he is not quite familiar with Mr Recoil)

If Sean's selling, BUY THEM. Top notch to deal with.
    Well, just found out today, I cannot by Seans rifles as they sold right after his ad, but now I have somethimng else to watch for....When strolling around the run tables? I favor m38 or m44 style..Recoil?? Better get thwe young man a rubber buttplate, They do pop pretty hard and if it hurts him much he will not like it, or might even quit trying to shoot them..I kow i hated the model 12 shotgun for it shaking my whole body when fired..OG.

Founding Member
    Picked up my M-44 rifle..1945R russian in good condition, except the entire rifle has been buffed of the bluing..Strange, look with out bluing, the barrel looks to be in good shape, no backbore was requested...It was purchased with a small crack down the center of the upper handguard..Getting ready to steam the stock , I see a ton of grease hiding some pretty wood....some small pitts on the triggerguard..bayonnet looks like some wear..just think, this rifle might have made it to Berlin..?soon as i finish the stock, gonna crack that Romanian 149 fmj ammo thru it..

Founding Member
    Still rubbing the stock at night while watching the swampboys, Last night started to cover the BLO , with some Hope's oil, the color is looking good..