Thread: Need some help from the 1911 experts

Patriot

Need some help from the 1911 experts

I picked this parts kit up in trade. It's all USGI from what I understand. The slide a US&S, from what I understand this slide was a spare part made during WWII, and looks to have been used on a 1911 (not a1) as the A1 was peened out. I was thinking of building this into a pistol on a new frame, but I wanted to get an Idea of it's value first. I have seen guys asking huge dollars for US&S slides, but they don't seem to get it, and their not replacements.

What do you think the value of the parts kit is? I doubt I can find (or afford) a US&S frame so should I just sell it or build it on a new commercial frame?

Thanks Guys
    Justin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Patriot
    Go a head and build. To the best of my knowledge the military never peened over markings as shown. I had numerous slides supplied to me for rebuilds and none were ever stamped like the one you have.BTW the slide is not that rare as you noted it was a rebuild part not original on a pistol. One other point I never replaced 1911 slides on purpose if they were within specs. As to the Colt 1911 slides value at present is the fact that gunsmiths like my self paid no attention to the maker of the part we used for repair only the condition(new Used) so Colts ended up with parts from other manufacturers and people are trying to restore them.
    If you decide to build,do not use the Essex frame as it draws immediate attention to the fact it is a parts gun.

Patriot
    Thank you sir. I am leaning towards a caspian basic or classic frame. I believe the parts are mostly M1911 not M1911A1, so I believe the Classic frame is more appropriate.

Thanks
    Justin

Patriot
    Mixmaster,

I plan to use a carbon steel Caspian Recon frame. Do you typically fit unfinished then parkerize it, or parkerize it first then install and fit the parts.

The reason I ask is I want to repark the slide and some of the exterior parts you see, but I want to frame to be parked at the same time to match. My pistolsmith, I don't think he likes to park much, and quoted me kinda high, plus I want the roll marks to still be in good shape, so I am thinking of sending it to Tim first to park the whole thing, then send it to him for assembly. Will this work?

Thanks
    Justin

Patriot
    I usually fit all of the parts and then re finish. It is very easy to mark the finish while trying to fit a part . Good choice on frame I am on my way to pick one up for a build I am doing,as the parts I have are satin I plan to get the stainless steel one. By all means send it to Shuff he has done some for me and the parts all seemed to match although they were from unknown makers and dates most were Remington Rand. BTW I think the frame you want is a copy of the GI frame I rarely use the duck bill grip safety on a GI replica so I do not like my frame cut for it. Anyway I can make that cut myself if I need to.
    Good luck on your build and any help I can be just ask.BTW my stage name comes from being a military gunsmith and putting arms back in service with any serviceable part and damn the markings not matching!!