Thread: MAC Address

MAC Address

Is it possible to change your computer's MAC address?
    Thanks
    Jon

Sometimes you can spoof, but I don't know how.

Eli

If you're looking for a way to log into CMP with your present computer you would need to know which MAC address the CMP administrator is monitoring. If they are only looking at the MAC of the Ethernet adapter, it's simple. Install a new ethernet card in your computer, and establish your internet connection with the new network card. There are also utilities that allow you to change the MAC address / IP relationship of your existing ethernet adapter.

The second issue is are you connected to the internet via a router or a modem. If you connect via a router you may be able to change the MAC address the router uses. If you're connected via a modem to the web, you're hosed, you'll need to speak with your ISP about a new modem. Tell them it's intermittently dropping you off line or something like that and ask for a replacement.

The video below will give you some ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6mgsMkDz3w

I can open the forum with my fiancée's computer and we're using the same modem, if that narrows it down any.
    Thanks
    Jon

Patriot
    Sounds like it's just looking at the MAC address, or MAC and IP combo. You can install a new network card it will have a new MAC address hardcoded from the factory, or if your crafty there area a couple of things you can do.

There are some utilities out there to change them, but I have never used them.

http://devices.natetrue.com/macshift/

comes up with a google search.

You could also install a virtual machine using something like Virtual Box or VMware, and you can browse using that. The virtual network adapter has it's own MAC address. If they ban that, you can just change the MAC of your virtual machine pretty easily since it's just software. You'd need an install CD of the operating system you wish to use, and probably another product code. So a new network adapter is probably easier and cheaper.

If they ban your IP all together you may have to wait until your router's DHCP lease expires and it gets a new IP address, that can take a week or more.

You can also use an internet proxy to mask your IP/MAC address, these are hit or miss, and kinda shady as usually they are used by people trying to do something illegal, and usually spy/malware ridden.

Good Luck,
    Justin

why are you so eager to go back to the place that banned you?? I thought they could "eat waxed fruit"?
    [SIGPIC]

Patriot
    He wants to see if he can beat Punch The Clown's record....

There is some contact info in my pm's that I'd like to copy. And to let Precision40 know that he can't block every computer in the world. Other than that, no reasons at all.
    Jon
    Last edited by musketjon; 02-16-2015 at 10:57 PM.