Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Garand

Latest Garand

Here she is:

She has a Breda bolt, Breda receiver, Breda gas cylinder and Breda trigger group. She has a Springfield NM operating rod and a Criterion .30-06 chrome lined barrel. And of course the laminated stock.

I think she will become my Garand for a rainy day. I might take her hunting next year.

Very Nice!
    !

Pretty rifle.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

So how did it headspace with the chrome lined barrel? Did you have to lap the bolt to get it to headspace?

I did not install the barrel. My friend installed it and he explained to me that the bolt did not need lapping. Italian Breda and Beretta bolts are on the short side and once the barrel was installed and indexed, the bolt just dropped in.

My buddy is a very careful builder and he uses headspace gauges. The bolt will close on a go gauge and it will not close on a no go gauge. it headspaced perfectly.

My friend has built 14 Garands so far and he says that the Italian bolts offer very good locking lug contact when installed in an Italian receiver.

I also have another Breda with a chrome lined barrel and it also worked out very well. It is a very sweet and accurate shooter. With this first rifle, a new old stock Springfield bolt was tried first; however this bolt was too long and it was not possible to get sufficient headspace. So if you are going to try a chrome lined barrel, I would suggest avoiding the late model bolts.
    Last edited by FluffyTheCat; 02-19-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Founding Member
    Nice looking rifle!

Nice rifle Fluffy. I have only owned one rifle with a chrome bore and I was amazed at how easy to clean it was.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Founding Member
    Very Nice!!

I generally don't like lam stocks on M1's but that one--WOW!! Hands-down, two thumbs up, is PRETTY.
    Jon