Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1945 Garand

1945 Garand

I picked up this 1945 Garand from a private owner . Lockbar pinion and lower band is still staked MW-1 TW-3 bore is spotless, non chromed gas port pads
    Appears to be right as rain and very possibly never messed with , exception of a couple oddities. The etching on the receiver leg and the cartouch is sanded along with another few areas were there are dents.

Last edited by Orlando; 03-02-2015 at 09:43 PM.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Beautiful. How did you find it?
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Quote Originally Posted by melloman View Post
    Beautiful. How did you find it?
    On Calguns
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Cadet
    Very nice gun. Which prompts me to ask a question about late WWII garands. I recently received a service grade SA from the CMP. I asked for a good shooter
    and got exactly that (mw 1+ and TE 2+). However, the receiver is Jan 45 and the barrel is Aug 45. All the metal parts with the exception of the oprod (WRA) seem to be SA and correct for WW2. It has the milled handguard and lockbar rear sights. All the metal parts have been re-parked and the wood is a CMP new stock, probably birch. I'm very happy with the gun but not really a collector. I only intend to shoot it in club hi-power matches. From what I've described, would someone want to outfit the gun with USGI stocks and an uncut SA oprod and have a collectable piece? The receiver is in the 3.5M range.

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Very nice gun. Which prompts me to ask a question about late WWII garands. I recently received a service grade SA from the CMP. I asked for a good shooter
    and got exactly that (mw 1+ and TE 2+). However, the receiver is Jan 45 and the barrel is Aug 45. All the metal parts with the exception of the oprod (WRA) seem to be SA and correct for WW2. It has the milled handguard and lockbar rear sights. All the metal parts have been re-parked and the wood is a CMP new stock, probably birch. I'm very happy with the gun but not really a collector. I only intend to shoot it in club hi-power matches. From what I've described, would someone want to outfit the gun with USGI stocks and an uncut SA oprod and have a collectable piece? The receiver is in the 3.5M range.

It's been reparked. Unfortunately your collectibility is forever lost. Shoot the snot out of it and have fun
    [SIGPIC]

Nice rifle you have there. I have one from that period that I got from Duff, great rifles.

Orlando, it looks in the pictures to be zinc, true?

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    It's a pretty Gal!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Orlando, it looks in the pictures to be zinc, true?
    The pics are terrible, I need to take the time and get them in proper lighting. It is all original finish

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    The pics are terrible, I need to take the time and get them in proper lighting. It is all original finish
    But shouldn't the original finish on that receiver be zinc? I don't have my serial number chart around, cut off was sometime in summer of 45 though right? That is, cut off for manganese to zinc.