Thread: Italian Beretta BM59 folding pistol grip stock what to do?

Junior Cadet

Italian Beretta BM59 folding pistol grip stock what to do?

I am new to the forum you have probably discussed this in the past before, sorry for bringing it up again if you have. I have a field grade M1 Garand from the CMP wanting to have turned into a Shuffs Mini G. I wanted to have it installed and fit onto a Italian Beretta pistol grip folding stock. Can I use a drop down gas cylinder with that stock, I wanted the op rod lower so I can use the rail to install an optic on. How much fitting is required to get the MINI G to fit on that stock ? I am just about ready with the funds so it is time to get the questions answered. If the stock needs customized for the MINI G who is best to use for that? Thanks ahead of time for all the help.

A pain, I don't think they look right and you have some holes to fill in in that stock. Mag well, clip latch pin capture point, follower pin capture point, all need wood put in. You also have to relieve the area by the follower arm, in the stock. Now, if you go mag fed Mini-G, I like it.

Junior Cadet
    This stock looks like it has had some work done to it but not sure what one is supposed to look like untouched. Maybe a mag fed mini G would be better. So I need to save the extra money for that unless I can get this to work. Is there someone who can work the stock and do the things you state that is needed so the M1 Garand non-mag fed will fit in the stock and how much does that cost? It sounds like you prefer the mag fed in this stock better. I am assuming that a mag fed in this stock then the stock needs very little done to it for fit, am I correct? So the drop down gas cylinder will work in this sock? My funds are limited so if I can get the stock fixed cheaper than the mag fed conversion it would save a lot. Although I also prefer the mag fed look. Thanks again for all advice.

Junior Cadet
    I was planning on doing the same thing. I e-mailed Shuff's stock person with the request. I was given a rough estimate of around $200.00 to get the stock set up for an en=bloc Garand. Besides everything listed above, the stock needs to be re-finished as well. Unfortunately, I do not have an option of going with a magazine fed rifle with a pistol grip, so that option will not be open to me.

Give the pistol grip stock to the trash man. Don't bastardize an M1 rifle with what it's not supposed to have on it. If it was supposed to have a pistol grip on it, John Garand would've installed one on it originally (notice the key-operative word here--ORIGINALLY). Pistol grip M1 rifles are UGLY, UGLY, UGLY. Did I mention that pistol grip M1 rifles are UGLY?????
    Jon

Junior Cadet
    I recently acquired a S/S WILSON match grade .308 barrel for the M1 Garand. I got it from gun broker it was referenced here also. I was thinking about using the barrel on a mini g build,with the drop down cylinder, and folding stock,and mag fed. This has been a long range project due to funds. Getting it exactly right the first time is more important than rushing it. I do not want to sell or waste the folding stock and want to use it on this build. My question is will cutting that S/S match grade barrel down for the mini g take a lot of the long range accuracy away and be a waste for this barrel? How much or at what distance do you see the loss of accuracy at how many yards? I know at a 100,or 200 yards maybe no difference happens or minimal. What about 600 yards? If so can you gain some accuracy at that distance by going with 18.5" barrel or 20" instead of the 16" barrel? Just thinking .

Will cutting it down take away long range accuracy? Yes. Cutting any barrel shorter will do this but really not because of accuracy but because of lesser ballistics.

You will get a longer shooting rifle by having a longer barrel.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
    Give the pistol grip stock to the trash man. Don't bastardize an M1 rifle with what it's not supposed to have on it. If it was supposed to have a pistol grip on it, John Garand would've installed one on it originally (notice the key-operative word here--ORIGINALLY). Pistol grip M1 rifles are UGLY, UGLY, UGLY. Did I mention that pistol grip M1 rifles are UGLY?????
    Jon
    Oooppps, some one else whom isn't fond of the short pistolgrip stocks? Are they still allowed in all states? Don't have one..but really never thought they were necessary...Might be great for paratrooper or Bush hunter...just MHO, outloud..

Junior Cadet

Asout that S/S wilson match grade .308 barrel.

Would you cut down a S/S wilson match grade .308 barrel for a mini ,or just use it as a full size M1 Garand or maybe an 18 1/2" barrel ? So many choices, so hard of decisions. Anyone know who black oxides S/S barrels and does a good job?

Quote Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
    Would you cut down a S/S wilson match grade .308 barrel for a mini ,or just use it as a full size M1 Garand or maybe an 18 1/2" barrel ? So many choices, so hard of decisions. Anyone know who black oxides S/S barrels and does a good job?
    That is risky. When I cut down a barrel I index off the flats on the barrel from a USGI contour barrel. The "match grade" barrels usually don't have the flats on the barrel. When this is the case I have to index off the tab at the bottom of the chamber and do it by eye. Otherwise, it isn't much of a problem but the customer has to understand that your chamber tab at 6 O'Clock may not look perfect on the rifle.