Thread: Mosin nagant 'coin type' headspace guages

Founding Member

Mosin nagant 'coin type' headspace guages

Anyone here got any of these coins to fit 7.62 r rifles? I need the thickness, if you do, or a cheap source to buy one... I can make one if i have the safe thickness?? Not too worried, the Romainian FMJS ammo is not showing any signs of stress or foul play..That M44 sure has a strong bite..after testing i stopped wearing the face shield..Not especially thrilled with the sight picture, but, you can cock your neck just right? OG.

OG,
    I've got a Field gage for the 7.62x54R made by Oakie. When I get home from work I'll try to remember where I put it and if successful will send you the oal and diameter.
    Jon

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
    OG,
    I've got a Field gage for the 7.62x54R made by Oakie. When I get home from work I'll try to remember where I put it and if successful will send you the oal and diameter.
    Jon
    I would appreciate it, I have two of these rifles, but don't need any mishaps, even if they look to be in good shape..

OG,
    The dim's are thusly:
    Thickness: .0762/.0767 (.0005 out of flatness)
    Diameter: .5608
    At the 6:00 position (just to make the blue print easy to read) is a notch for the extractor. It is .270 wide by .164 deep, on C/L. In the center of the coin is a thru-hole .180 diameter for f/p clearance.
    Hope this helps you out.
    If you need more info, let me know.
    Jon

I can send you mine and you can return it when you're done if that makes it any easier for you. Just lemme' know. Of course, I know from experience it's always more fun to make your own stuff. I do it all the time. Working in a machine shop makes it easy.
    Last edited by musketjon; 03-20-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Founding Member

Jon comes thru..

Quote Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
    OG,
    The dim's are thusly:
    Thickness: .0762/.0767 (.0005 out of flatness)
    Diameter: .5608
    At the 6:00 position (just to make the blue print easy to read) is a notch for the extractor. It is .270 wide by .164 deep, on C/L. In the center of the coin is a thru-hole .180 diameter for f/p clearance.
    Hope this helps you out.
    If you need more info, let me know.
    Jon

I can send you mine and you can return it when you're done if that makes it any easier for you. Just lemme' know. Of course, I know from experience it's always more fun to make your own stuff. I do it all the time. Working in a machine shop makes it easy.
    Thank you for the technicals...I can make one from that..We have s few machines at work...I just would like to be sure it is okay to use..It is a very powerful round and fun to shoot... I bet my neighbors think i have a .50 caliber browning mg rifle....I have been very quiet for the last few years, since by son's both were married, and we started going down to the river and use the levie for a back stop...Now i am shopping for a bent bolt to make it easier to operate.. It is amazing how the price of parts is dwendling for the Mosin rifles..

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    Thank you for the technicals...I can make one from that..We have s few machines at work...I just would like to be sure it is okay to use..It is a very powerful round and fun to shoot... I bet my neighbors think i have a .50 caliber browning mg rifle....I have been very quiet for the last few years, since by son's both were married, and we started going down to the river and use the levie for a back stop...Now i am shopping for a bent bolt to make it easier to operate.. It is amazing how the price of parts is dwendling for the Mosin rifles..
    Actually believe the other fable about the long handled bent bolts, the short original bolt is much easier to use..