Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Question

Junior Cadet

Hunting Question

I have never used the garand on a hunt, but was considering this next rifle season. My question is this, when you use it to hunt, do you let the bolt slide over the first round for a clear chamber and then rack it for the shot, or do you keep one in the tube and trust the safety so to keep the noise down? Of course you should always do what makes you feel safe I was just wondering what some of you guys do.

I dont hunt with the Garand but why would you treat it any different than any other rifle? One in the chamber and the safety on
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    Didn't the Italians (and maybe USGIs) cut the tip off the safety to help with the noise? I know it allows you to engage the safety when the hammer is not cocked, but I thought it also made it quieter.

See:
    http://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand-...119503953.html

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    I dont hunt with the Garand but why would you treat it any different than any other rifle? One in the chamber and the safety on
    I've always been taught to keep the chamber clear until you're ready to engage your target unless your target can shoot back. Not saying you're wrong or dangerous; just saying that's how I was taught.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    Didn't the Italians (and maybe USGIs) cut the tip off the safety to help with the noise? I know it allows you to engage the safety when the hammer is not cocked, but I thought it also made it quieter.

See:
    Interesting. I had no idea.

How much noise would you make racking the garand ? It seems to me all that noise and movement would spook any deer that's near you.
    Also, if you are walking to your spot and you flush out a deer, you would waste a second or two loading the garand before you can aim and shoot.
    That deer will be long gone. Just my opinion.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post

See:
    Yes, my safety like that is very quiet.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I wait until I cross any fence,or gate to get to my spot and then load on into chamber and put the safety on.My finger never gets near the trigger until I'm ready to fire.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen3 View Post
    I've always been taught to keep the chamber clear until you're ready to engage your target unless your target can shoot back. Not saying you're wrong or dangerous; just saying that's how I was taught.
    You never done any rabbit hunting have you?
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Founding Member
    Orlando, You read my mind, I was sitting here quietly reading...I love to hunt for the cottontail and swamp varity..The only time my rifle or shotgun is not cocked and locked on safety is when it is being transported in the truck...Actually it is againest the law to be driving with it and to have the shells in it.. Some areas require you to be so many feet from any road before loading.....