Thread: 03A3 Drill Rifle

Patriot

Red face 03A3 Drill Rifle

I have coming to my door a welded drill rifle. I have restored welded M1 Grands and carbines but never was interested in doing an 03A3 till now. I got a heck of a deal on one and now find myself sorely lacking the knowledge to restore it. I can see the obvious areas that will require weld being removed and this is where it gets good. Anyone know how to cleanly remove the weld on the cut off? This is the area that will require prior knowledge to get it done right and so I am asking for anyone with this information for HELP! I do not want to screw this up and looking at it shows me I can do that real easy(screw it up) any help may go a long way to help me restore it.
    Thanks
    Mix
    Last edited by mixmaster; 06-19-2011 at 01:09 AM.

Pictures would be the best way to start. Let's see what you get.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    A dremel works best.Use a cutoff wheel and be careful You don"t want to cut into Receiver,remove cutoff and start shaping...go slow.You may not be able to finish without a noticeable difference,as a lot of times They use stainless.
    Post pics.
    Ryan
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Patriot
    Thanks I kind of figured the Dremel was going to play a big part in this project.
    Have you done one? The only part I have any real concern about is the cut off as they welded it to the receiver and there are detent notches under that weld so it stands to reason that they will be full of weld. I'll keep you in formed as I progress (or don't)
    Mix

Quote Originally Posted by mixmaster View Post
    Thanks I kind of figured the Dremel was going to play a big part in this project.
    Have you done one? The only part I have any real concern about is the cut off as they welded it to the receiver and there are detent notches under that weld so it stands to reason that they will be full of weld. I'll keep you in formed as I progress (or don't)
    Mix
    Yes,I did one.I can tell You lots of things NOT to do!The way I told You looks way better than My first Time...
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

War Room Ready
    Are the drill rifles safe to shoot after all the welds are gone?

I shoot mine all of the time....and I never worry about it.I've actually shot 1" at 100 yrds regularly with the NOS '44 barrel I installed.I didn't repair the weld spots though,so it will never be any question about it's heritage.
    Ryan

War Room Ready
    I have an o3 drill rifle receiver, but it is low numbered, so i will never shoot it. how much are the o3a3's going for?

Quote Originally Posted by jjones View Post
    I have an o3 drill rifle receiver, but it is low numbered, so i will never shoot it. how much are the o3a3's going for?
    https://www.dupagetrading.com/firear...ll-rifles.html

Patriot
    jjones
    The one I got comes off of GB and they start at $49.00. I got mine for $50.00 as no one bid on it . They have a couple of more for sale and as mine was described as a Remington A3 I was not concerned about the serial(low) number.The ones advertised appear to be Remington and as A3 you don't need to worry about the serial number. If you want to part with the old receiver I am looking for one for a drill rifle, That's what got me in this mess with the welded on!
    Mix