Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The future of the Mini-G

Cool The future of the Mini-G

Tim, I was telling a coworker of mine about my new Mini-G and the mods you do on Garands and he asked me if you are the only person that knows how to do the mods that you do? In other words, if someday you decide to retire early to some tropical island, how would I get a Mini-G mod done or perhaps even a repair done to one of your mods. To my knowledge, you are the only guy on the planet that knows how to do what you do and offer your service to customers. Is there an apprentice in training that could continue your fine work? An evil twin brother with your same skill set? A trusted friend/business partner that could do what you do? Or, could the day come when Schuff's Mini-Gs simply become a rare collector's item and go down in history as that great little Garand that was modified & perfected by a visionary gunsmith named Tim Schufflin from a little town in Michigan?

As most things in this world, few things are lasting or permanent thus the reality is that someday, you will hang it all up. Just wondering out loud what the future of the Mini-G might be. Hell, this public pondering might all be moot as the CMP runs out of Garands someday soon (and that day is coming)! Anyway, I'm damn glad I got mine and I just may get another!

I *think* they can be reverse engineered, the recoil spring is off-the-shelf as I recall. Parts will be available for quite a while, I dare say.

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by peterpilot379 View Post
    Or, could the day come when Schuff's Mini-Gs simply become a rare collector's item and go down in history as that great little Garand that was modified & perfected by a visionary gunsmith named Tim Schufflin from a little town in Michigan?

that's what I'm hoping for. My Mini-G is stamped "SMG #001"
    [SIGPIC]

Founding Member
    Might be the true Gem of the day..it's a good investment by most standards for any sportsman..Rifles and weapons have been doing very well in the inflation period..Plus the Mini -G has the famous tanker beat hands down.. Sean post a photo of the SMG#001 please...

I am 48 so I have a few years left in me. The only real craftsman thing that has to be done on the Mini-G is the oprod bend. The recipe has been worked out, measurements done, a monkey can reverse engineer. Sean does have 001 and I have 000. I quit numbering them at 100.

Exactly how many have you converted? Or did you stop counting?

Patriot
    I was worried about this too a while back. But really the only differences are barrel, oprod, and follower rod.

The barrel should out live me (plus if needed a good gunsmith could probably make one up from the shot out one as a template), The follower rod looks easy to make up if needed, and the operating rod can be retabbed / re-pistoned as usual.

But if your worried you could always have Tim make up a spare oprod and or barrel.

Justin

How many? Why would I say that? That's like giving a tax testimony to use against your W2.

Founding Member

Life cycle of firearm parts

Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    I was worried about this too a while back. But really the only differences are barrel, oprod, and follower rod.

The barrel should out live me (plus if needed a good gunsmith could probably make one up from the shot out one as a template), The follower rod looks easy to make up if needed, and the operating rod can be retabbed / re-pistoned as usual.

But if your worried you could always have Tim make up a spare oprod and or barrel.

Justin
    Don't understand the idea that the OP rod is anymore fragile on a Mini-g than any other Garand?? Many old timers, including me still shoot the un-cut op rods of ww2..think how many cycles they have been thru, of course metal fatigue can set in on any firearm..As Example did you know an HK mp-5 self destroys itself from firing it?Probably any sheet metal gun will crack from cycles, Plus never forget the striking of the bolt can break the Heel of any garand? Spare barrel? yeap, I have a couple just in case...

Fair enough Tim. We will leave it at 100+ then.