Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopeless Stock Repair

Hopeless Stock Repair

I hope this post is in the right place. This repair could be used on any wood stock so here goes. I never intended on posting these pictures. I only took them with my cell phone in order to show my friend how his stock was fixed, if in fact it stayed that way! First let me say that the rifle is a Model 1899 Savage from the early 1900's. It is a 30-30 with an octagonal barrel. The stock was split all to he!! and worthless. My friend was asking me if I knew where to get a replacement butt stock for it. I asked him if he would let me play with it as he had nothing to lose. What had happened to the stock was the previous owner shot it with a very loose stock bolt and it split in three places and broke / chipped out the tang area. I did not take a picture before I took it apart (should have) but the damage will be apparent. The first step was to clean the old oil / grease and years of gunk. Purple power to the rescue! Then two trips through the dishwasher (hi-heat, pots and pans and no heated dry cycle) ;-)

The next step was to see just how bad the cracks were.

Last edited by mxlmax; 03-30-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Next was to "glue them back together.

Then add wood to the split Tang area and trim it down.

Next was to inlet for the tang and shape some more.

Then to add strength to the wrist I decided to place two "large" stock repair pins. and finish some more. I didn't want to rely on the glue alone and because the area on the receiver is so small I bedded that to make as much surface area as I could get (don't have a pic of that)

The stock bolt actually runs between the stock repair pins. My friend has been shooting it for two years now and everthing is still tight. I know any collector value is gone but it was a fun project, almost nothing is hopeless!

Nice job !!!!!
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

I'm very curious to see how that holds. It looks very nice though and you did a really handsome job.

Beautiful repair. I'm a big fan of the 1899's. Super well made rifles. Incredible craftsmanship. I had an 1899 saddle ring carbine, and a couple of takedowns. I wish I never sold them but whatever. Anyway. I had a 1907 Winchester with a similar break but it wasn't from shooting-it was from being stepped on. Nice job.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Looks good to me. Nice workmanship.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"