Thread: Remington Rand, no U.S. markings?

Remington Rand, no U.S. markings?

Hey guys, my friend has a Remington Rand no. 50072xx. This too high for the serial charts, it also does not have the US property markings, but does have inspectors mark(FJA) and proof P's. I have not seen it so I haven't been able to inspect it in person. Anybody ever see this before, could it be as easy as a RR slide on a different frame? Any help would be appeciated, thanks

IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0844a.jpg
    In God we trust, all others pay cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Anybody ever see this before, could it be as easy as a RR slide on a different frame?
    This...The S/N is out of range for any 1911A1 of WW-II manufacture. In fact I couldn't find any S/N in that range for a military 1911A1. Probably as you speculated, a Franken 1911A1.

Upon closer looking at the pics (they're blurry), it kind of looks like the frame was rubbed hard in serial# area, maybe filed off and renumbered, and reblued? Park doesn't usually turn brown does it? The numbers also aren't stamped real straight.
    Also, I didn't look real hard, but I couldn't find a serial number in the five million range that didn't have a prefix or wasn't alpha-numeric.
    Thanks for your help, I've missed being here.

Standard serial number and us markings buffed off and new number put on wrong location font etc. defacing a serial makes the gun illegal stay away

I have seen that brown look in my shop, it has always been bluing turned brown thus far.

Thanks guys for the help, see you around.

There's a lot of writing missing on that frame. The only thing that's left is half the ordnance wheel. The US Property, Model 1911A1, Serial Number all missing. It was probably scrubbed and the browning is from cold blue touch up.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    There's a lot of writing missing on that frame. The only thing that's left is half the ordnance wheel. The US Property, Model 1911A1, Serial Number all missing. It was probably scrubbed and the browning is from cold blue touch up.
    The frame on my WW-I era Springfield 1911 was scrubbed of the U.S. Property roll mark and most of the Springfield Ordnance proof mark. However the SN was left alone. Before 1911s were collectable it wasn't unusual for these markings to be scrubbed off in preparation for refinishing.

Richard