Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling handguns on GunBroker

Selling handguns on GunBroker

I'm considering seliing one of my handguns on GB and I have a few questions.

I am sure some of you have, did you get a fair price? Was it just too much of a PITA to be worth it? What I'm selling is nothing special (Sig P229/.40) so it's not like there is any collector value to it.

Thoughts?
    !

Patriot
    I've sold some. You get a lot of competition on GB if you have a common weapon, including from dealers selling at cost plus. I think some of these guys basically use it as their ecommerce site.

I have gotten decent prices for mine. I usually try to set my auction apart, by either selling a little cheaper, or including more items, like mags, flashlights, ect. I go forums first, but will goto GB if I need to.

Thanks,
    Justin

Start the auction at the absolute lowest price you would take for it otherwise you may be dissapointed on the outcome.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I sell on GB all the time,and have good luck.Millions of people look there every day.
    I start high,If it doesn't sell in a reasonable time,(say 2 weeks or so) I lower the price.
    I have a Mitchel luger on there right now. At a high price.It has 4 watchers,(probably laughing)
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Patriot
    Question about shipping handguns....have shipped long guns so know that's no hassle...but other than the handgun needs to go to an FFL what shipping do you guys use? I've been under the impression it need to be overnight service...anyone have advice?

FED EX To FFL
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Patriot
    As I recall the law reads it just has to be shipped via a common carrier.. BUT USPS will not accept handguns from an individual. It may even be a federal crime if you do. Not sure how that works any more since I thought the USPS was a 'private' company, but anyways...

FFLs can ship handguns to each other in via the Postal Service. So FFL to FFL can ship handguns via priority mail (or standard post probably but who does that). An individual has to use a commercial company like UPS / FEDEX. They set the policy that they only want to ship them 'Air'.

Shipping via UPS sucks, because the UPS stores are not really UPS but a franchise, and they ask you whats in it, you of course could fib, but if you tell them it's a firearm of any type, the UPS store almost always will not accept it, and will send you to a UPS HUB, which may be hours away from where you live. Also the personnel at the HUBs don't always know the laws.

So... The best way is to pack it up, weigh it, and print a FedEx 2nd day air label on your PC. Tape in on, and drop it off at a FedEx collection point. Like a FedEx / Kinkos or other print shop. You can find them online. I've never had anyone ask me whats in it at these places, including when I had packages so heavy with ammo, you could barely lift them. They just take it and go on their way. I have shipped handguns to be worked on by a gunsmith this way many times. When I sell a handgun it has to go through my dealer because I live in a communist state and need the paperwork to take it off my permit, so they ship it out, usually USPS. But the same FedEx way would work for a sale in a 'free' state. Just make sure your sending it to a FFL and include a photocopy of your drivers license.

When shipping ammo I do the same thing with FEDEX except I can ship it ground, and just have to put a ORM-D label (You can print them online or write it on with a sharpie) on it. It's supposed to be a 'ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms' label but I've seen people just go with ORM-D in sharpie or a ORM-D Consumer Commodity label.

HTH,
    Justin
    Last edited by jbkf1003; 06-18-2015 at 12:28 PM.

Sounds like more of a PITA than it's worth! I think for all that hassle I'd just sell it at a gunshow to some nameless individual for a few bucks less than I intended. It'll be worth the loss to not deal with it.
    !

Patriot
    It's really not that bad, I just put all the info for reference. Bottom line, If you've shipped long guns, It's the same just use fedex 2 day air.

Justin

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    Sounds like more of a PITA than it's worth! I think for all that hassle I'd just sell it at a gunshow to some nameless individual for a few bucks less than I intended. It'll be worth the loss to not deal with it.
    That might still work if it ( Pistol or rifle]is not registered to you.. But if it is then be cautious.....That serial number might come back up in some strange place..?