Thread: recently purchased "cermony" 1903

Junior Cadet

recently purchased "cermony" 1903

I recently purchased a 1903 SN 1406xxx with a barrel stamp of 1-32 from Springfield Armory. The issue I have is that the barrel, receiver, bolt and striker assembly, and several other parts other than the rear leaf site, and but plate look like they were painted silver for ceremony/parade purposes. The rifle fires, but I have some concerns of which I hope members of this forum can assist.

1. Will thinner damage the parkerization?

2. The rifle has a Remington Armory stock with all the correct markings; is this correct, or should it have a "C" type stock from Springfield?

3. I noticed that when I fired the rifle, the striker assembly shifts slightly as I pulled the trigger. Should I be concerned? The reason I ask is that I think that it has the older Springfield 1903 straight bolt handle and should have the bolt that is canted. I am in the process of researching through the TM for the rifle and book by Poyer, but figured some additional help could not hurt.

4. I will take some photos, but the rifle is disassembled currently since I am trying to find out more about this rifle. I know that it has several replacement remington parts; e.g. cut off, safety.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

#1-Thinner is safe to the parkerizing.
    #2-I believe "C" stock
    #3-The striker and bolt shifts a little when you squeeze the trigger. Normal.
    #4-Some straight handle bolts were double heat treated and are safe. You have to check by the markings on the bolt. Anyway, bolts are pretty inexpensive.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau