Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini G troubleshoot

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    If my garands starts doubling (yes, you did a trigger job on 2 of them), I guess the first step would be to replace the hammer. Correct ?
    Yes you can do that but the easiest fix is to add weight back on by emery clothing the back of the trigger. It's very easy to do, do it all the time for people. People have trigger jobs that were done years ago and they'll send them to me to have weight added back on.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Yes you can do that but the easiest fix is to add weight back on by emery clothing the back of the trigger. It's very easy to do, do it all the time for people. People have trigger jobs that were done years ago and they'll send them to me to have weight added back on.
    Thanks !!!
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Thanks !!!
    No sweat, I'm constantly doing trigger jobs for people who've had them done by myself or other people who do trigger jobs. Many of these trigger jobs were done by Smith's who have since passed on. It's all the same, just add a little weight, no matter who did it.

Double-taps are not unheard of when shooting from the bench. It all depends on how one holds the rifle. Also, if you're not pulling completely through with the trigger pull and letting off as soon as the rifle fires, that can also contribute to doubling. Pull all the way through each and every time. The hammer hooks could be worn, or the sear itself could be worn, or a combination of the two. The only way to tell is to selectively replace parts until the problem is eliminated.
    Jon

Thanks MJ, but over all my years of firing Garands off the bench I've never had a double and triple tap. I'm leaning more towards the trigger job needs refreshing on this one.

Bryan
    As Dustin Hoffman's character in Papillon, Louis Dega, said, "Temptation resisted is a true measure of character."

USMC: 1979-1987

Sacramento County Sheriff's Department: 1988-2012

Tim, I received my trigger group back today. Thank you for checking it out for me, and the fast return. We did have a discussion on the phone about the "hammer drop test." Maybe you could outline, again ,the steps for this procedure. Seems some folks had too much other stuff going on during our phone conversation and may have not remembered all the steps. And also, if any other members want to learn.
    As Dustin Hoffman's character in Papillon, Louis Dega, said, "Temptation resisted is a true measure of character."

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamm View Post
    Tim, I received my trigger group back today. Thank you for checking it out for me, and the fast return. We did have a discussion on the phone about the "hammer drop test." Maybe you could outline, again ,the steps for this procedure. Seems some folks had too much other stuff going on during our phone conversation and may have not remembered all the steps. And also, if any other members want to learn.
    Yes Sir,
    1. Install trigger group
    2. Assure rifle unloaded
    3. Cock hammer
    4. depress the trigger and keep it depressed
    5. pull back on the oprod thus cocking the hammer and then let the bolt close
    6. release the trigger
    7. depress the trigger
    8. The hammer should fall

If the hammer does not fall, you either have a stock issue, lug issue on the trigger guard, slightly worn top of hammer, slightly worn bottom of bolt.

Thank you sir. I plan on getting on this tomorrow.

Junior Cadet
    If my garands starts doubling (yes, you did a trigger job on 2 of them), I guess the first step would be to replace the hammer. Correct ?
    I'm very curious about this, as well. 500-1000 rounds is like 2 or 3 weekends. To restore an M1 to stock, should we replace the hammer or the trigger?

And how many rounds can we expect a stock M1 to fire before it starts doubling?
    Last edited by parkitthere; 02-15-2016 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parkitthere View Post
    I'm very curious about this, as well. 500-1000 rounds is like 2 or 3 weekends. To restore an M1 to stock, should we replace the hammer or the trigger?

And how many rounds can we expect a stock M1 to fire before it starts doubling?
    Guy's I'm using data from a few guys who have done them. Are they wrong? I don't know. Have I had to "redo" trigger jobs from days gone by, yes. You will find Gus Fisher and Roland Beaver say these trigger jobs have a finite life span (they must but I don't know for sure what that upper number is) of 1000 rounds tops. To restore a trigger to stock you would add a new hammer OR every the trigger sear. A stock M1, who knows how many times before it would double as you would have never broken the case hardness of the hammer hooks. This may be much to do about nothing, I can tell you that my trigger group has still not lost its set since I've done it 7 years ago.

Like many things in life, it depends. Was the hammer spring so firm that that more hook was removed to compensate? In that case you would think you'd have the 1000 round scenario. If a weak hammer and hardly any hammer hook removed then you would believe that trigger could go on for almost ever.