Thread: Fitting PU scope mounts? Frustrations..

Founding Member

Fitting PU scope mounts? Frustrations..

Well Extreme patience is getting thin..Anyone here fitted thier sniper with an Pu Steel russian scope mount? The Damn pins are too far forward..The screw holes might line up, but my brass pin driver has bent..now Have it soaking in Kroil oil to loosen the steel pins..What a crock for a adjustment..The rifle is a russian 1944 with the original pins installed by Drunk IVAN>..

I hate to tell you nthis but there is different spacing on PU scope bases. You have to measure and buy the correct one.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Founding Member

Do it yourself--pheww..

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    I hate to tell you nthis but there is different spacing on PU scope bases. You have to measure and buy the correct one.
    Okay, I did get the one with the correct spaces for the tapped screws...Small things bug the mess out of me...The pins set by Ivan are not at a 90 degs to the reciever... Seeing that Ivan was running war production, they could have been training a kid, or being in a darkish cave..Who Knows?? The pins have been driven in with tremendous force, they had filed the forward pin , to cure a deformity..from hammering..I bent the brass pin setter again so i got out the next size steel punch..laid the rifle down, covered it with soft tape and hit the pin very hard..It moved a very small amount..Today, i will redo the point and try again tonight..For fluids I have used Kroil oil, and Knocker-loose...PBlaster...Next I am going to dremil the holes just a little forward..They were cut so small the new steel pins won't fit, and since Ivan tapped the hole forward, i am going to cheat and open those holes on the forward side..with carbide cutting bit..So much for a simple installation, makes me really wonder just what the original scope base looked like?? Anyway, maybe I can enjoy the benefits of a 4x20 scope soon..

OG, why don't you screw the base up to the receiver and use it as a guide for drilling the pin holes using an end mill?
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Founding Member

PU pooper..

OG, why don't you screw the base up to the receiver and use it as a guide for drilling the pin holes using an end mill?
    , I don't own but one endmill and it is the wrong size for this..

Yeap, ..actually the base might just fit if the pins come out..I plan to square them up, when i reinstall them, they are several thousands larger..I just cleaned up my punch, and will attempt to drive em out again, left them soaking in kroil again..just this is such a pain, especially since it is actually a used weapon and it has had a Pu scope base fitted to it before..Why do things never just work"out of the box.?"Maybe someone dropped the weapon on the pins and knocked them out of alignment.

Heat can be your best friend when it comes to removing stubborn parts.

Founding Member
    Heat can be your best friend when it comes to removing stubborn parts.
    Yes, I drove one pin out after fitting it to a soft pine board..broke the punch, but the pin fell out...The other one I fitted the Dewalt drill to it and pulled it out... Now I have the mount screwed to the reciever and shaved the pins and installed them...You have to wonder if it was a good move...buying after market stuff, but that little 4 power scope sure is bright..Now If I can true the mount or the scope to get them to align with the bore?? I was aiming for the Tv last night and the scope shows left of the bore....Maybe it is just a Left leaning scope like so many people today, thats a small joke..Still in Afib, but feeling better now, meet the Dr. again next thursday to discuss Rythmn...

OG, my friend has a PU sniper he resurrected with all original Russian parts. The thing amazes me how well it shoots. Also, the scope is brighter than you would imagine. We mounted the base, scope and rings, didn't touch the elevation screws on the base, and were on paper first shot.

All scopes are offset from the bore. A top mounted scope is offset to the top, but nobody seems to consider that. Bottom line is with any scope there is only one point where the scope and the bore converge. You just adjust that point as you see fit. Keep us posted with the A-Fib.

Founding Member
    OG, my friend has a PU sniper he resurrected with all original Russian parts. The thing amazes me how well it shoots. Also, the scope is brighter than you would imagine. We mounted the base, scope and rings, didn't touch the elevation screws on the base, and were on paper first shot.

All scopes are offset from the bore. A top mounted scope is offset to the top, but nobody seems to consider that. Bottom line is with any scope there is only one point where the scope and the bore converge. You just adjust that point as you see fit. Keep us posted with the A-Fib.
    okay, Great Barrel, My PU repo, is from Accumounts over on Fleabay.. Supposed to be new production russian, There is only 4x20 on the scope, no other marks, alum tube with a silver ring forward by the front..The image is great, it also has adjustments for setting the sight and a set of papers to explain...I am going to fire it before trying to set it.... Today I have felt better than usual...I will let yall know after I get the ablasion, it i sure to be fun and expensive, but if I'm lucky I get to live and with a happy heart..IT really set prioritys, when they Talk about heart problems. OG.