Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'rat' Garand

'rat' Garand

Most folks know a rat rod is usually a old hotrod stripped to the basics, ugly finish and has barely the essentials to make it move. So how about a 'rat' Garand? I have some beattoodeath stocks,close to shot out barrels, scruffy parts and frayed slings which on their own are of little use. But! put them all together and maybe get something that looks like it was to hell and back and took no prisoners! Back in the day of battlefield repairs, working with used parts and pinning stocks together with screws and such, good looks was not of importance. Is there any records or mention of shortcuts, improvisation or other jury rigged repairs that worked? Creosote, diesel fuel or motor oil for stocks perhaps? Would some form of paint have been used to repair damaged parkerizing? Lard for grease etc. I would think that at times when stuck on a Pacific island during the monsoon or holed up in a frozen foxhole waiting for resupplies that may or may not have arrived was par for the course and getting your service weapon fixed was often up to the individual. This is just a thought right now but could become a future project while waiting for the 'pretty' ones to come together.

It sounds like a fun project. I would put a NOS barrel on it so it has a chance to out shoot some of the pretty rifles. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Some People's "ugly" is other people's beauty.I love the "very well used" look...also Winchester roughness,yes,some say I'm a weirdo
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

You have inspired me--to do exactly the opposite. I am going to build a fancy Winchester.

All my own Garands are like this, they get the crap parts, broken knobs, cracked stocks... They do get good barrels though.

I have a fetish that involves repairing,and using "junk"parts on my M1's.My "correct" Win-13,and HRA are probably my only ones with good parts?
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Founding Member
    Hump,

We know what your true fetish is!

Quote Originally Posted by cuppednlocked View Post
    Hump,

We know what your true fetish is!
    You can narrow it down to only 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    You can narrow it down to only 1?
    "Lapping bolts"...........a semi private joke between Ryan and me. It goes back to an incessant thread about lapping bolts or you will die kinda thing. Ryan said he laughed so hard he....... well never mind......although he did mention his daughter was NOT impressed with happened while he was laughing! I NEVER forget anything Ryan ;-).
    All the best MXLMAX

Founding Member
    This is the only version I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMEFAQERF4U