Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check out this NRA bashing thread on the CMP forum

I can relate to what you are complaining about directly. Some people are trying to do that where I live at and Im in the styx. There are developers who want my land. Ive been fighting them for the past nine years and so far, successful. The key to it is you have to be super aggressive and tenacious and quite frankly, obnoxious. Ive pushed things with them right up to the edge of physical violence in the past. My family is on my side and just as tenacious about it as I am. In fact my Mother recently spoke at a local city council meeting, telling them they were idiots, basically. Being a nice guy never got me anywhere, Ive found when Im nice to people, I tend to get run over. There are not many people in this country anymore who grew up in the rural areas or on a farm and because of the way I was raised, I have a different perspective on things that I believe gives me an edge over these sorts that you are describing.

For example, Ive told some of them to their faces they have the "entitlement" mentality regarding their belief they can just move here and build a city. When they dont even own much of the land. And my family does own a lot of the land. Ive jokingly told some of them, "they never learned how to work for what they have and I mean really, work." Like, farmwork or logging work like I used to do. Ive told some of them, "ya know, Ive got 26 acres down here and I need the trees re-cleared. Ive thought about offering a "learn to work" program where you could show up at my place and I'd put you up in one of my old, defunct tobacco barns for a month, give you a free food and all the well water you can drink, give you a shovel, axe and other tools and put your progressive democrat ass to work on my property. And I'd be glad to pay you 25 cents an hour, because afterall, you dont know how to work and you are being TAUGHT HOW TO WORK and 25 cents an hour is all your worth at this stage."

Pisses them off, scares them a little at the same time because it sounds like a Southern overseer mentality that they are not used to. And they tend to shut up, although it makes me no friends and makes me enemies. But thats OK with me.

Quote Originally Posted by KnickKnack View Post
    Unfortunately, M1, that is what is happening in a lot of places as the Liberals move out of the crime ridden big Cities. They sucked all the money they can out of their Government jobs, have discovered how "trendy" it is to move to the "country" and want to leave it all behind them. Except they bring it all with them. Since 9-11-01, they have moved out of New York City and New Jersey to Upstate New York, some of the Coastal Southern States and Texas. They have enough numbers now to be elected into the local Governments and start their Liberal changes. There are literally dozens of things in my area, once common-place, that you can no longer do. This used to be a good small game hunting area until the developers, with the help of their friends in local Government, cut down the trees to build houses for all the transplants. Those transplants freak out if they see someone carrying a rifle, call the police and have the schools locked down. We can't have fire pits or wood furnaces in our backyards because they don't like the smoke. One woman actually asked the Town Board to pass a law banning poison ivy because she thought her neighbors were growing it and her daughter got a rash from it. They are stupid and clueless.
    All M1 Garand rifles coming into the CMP's possession for resale, should be sold only to buyers who have shot an M1 Garand at a registered M1 match once a year. M1 Garand sales to non shooters should cease completely and immediately. If you want to buy M1s, you should be REQUIRED to shoot minimum one formal match per year, every year.

RT40 (banned permanently) from the CMP forum

What you did was also a cool use of your M1 Garand, btw. Integrating it into your fitness routine and all. So you just wanted to find out "if you could still do that sort of thing?" anymore. Not only do I understand, Ive done the same myself.

Ive also done pull ups with my M1 Garand strapped to my back with the sling. The M1 adds a small amount of weight. Ive got common sense and would not do that sort of thing in a public park or something where there are children around, especially in this day and time. But Ive done it. Also tried doing push ups with my M1 slung on my back. Only thing I have not done is swim a 50 meter sidestroke holding my M1 Garand out of the water, using the M1 instead of a ten pound diving brick.

If people dont like it, screw'em. Keep doing what you described, its cool.

Quote Originally Posted by M1orNone View Post
    I know it all too well, KnickKnack, unfortunately. One of the last times I took my M1 out, was on a hike. Just wanted to see if I could carry it, two gallons of water, and 100 rounds or so of ammo, a few hours. Nearly at the end of the 8-mile round trip, I see a couple walking up. The first thing out of the woman's mouth was "why are you carrying a rifle? Is it hunting season? If not, don't you think you should keep it at home, if you need one at all?"

Caught me off guard, big time. I laughed a bit, and said "Lady, welcome to the mountains of Montana. Did you and your wife have a nice trip up from L.A.?"

"I have a husband! You didn't answer me why you're packing a rifle around. Does that make you man?"

"Well, your husband is hiding behind YOU! Shouldn't I be the one asking the questions about gender? LOL!!"

The ride back home in the CJ3A, M1 stuffed in the scabbard, was most enjoyable.
    All M1 Garand rifles coming into the CMP's possession for resale, should be sold only to buyers who have shot an M1 Garand at a registered M1 match once a year. M1 Garand sales to non shooters should cease completely and immediately. If you want to buy M1s, you should be REQUIRED to shoot minimum one formal match per year, every year.

RT40 (banned permanently) from the CMP forum