Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gotten sick and fffing tired of CMP's "non profit" corporation status

Gotten sick and fffing tired of CMP's "non profit" corporation status

I am pissed. For a couple years, Ive wanted to take the CMP live webinar in the Fall on M1 Garand maintenance. Its always been the same price, $25 for the live webinar plus another $25 if you wanted a download version to burn a disk to so you'd have it for keeps. I thought that was a good, solid price for a basic class or clinic, especially on a simple subject.

A few weeks ago, I found out the webinar is being offered this Fall again, several weeks ago, it was the same price listed. $25.00 for the live webinar and another $25.00 for the download for a hardcopy, $50.00 total. OK no problem, sounds good.

Tonight I log onto the site and damn if they had not jacked the price from $25.00 for the live webinar to freaking $100.00!!!! Talk about pissed. WTF is up with the CMP????? Whats up with this "non profit corporation" status thing they claim to be????? When I first got into the CMP, I admit it was a good deal, a real good deal. Now its not.

I can pay that price, but Im not sure if I want to give the CMP that much money for such a topic.

A few years back, CMP was offering the M1 Garand maintenance class FOR FREE in May at Camp Butner!! And the summer I went to Perry in 2013, the "live class" taught there was friggin $10.00.

Sorry, but jacking it from $25.00 to $100 in a few weeks aint non profit corporation prices. I am sorry, I dont agree with the CMP on that one and I believe sincerely the CMP needs to be changed to a for profit corporation if their management continues pulling such shenanigans.

CMP...non profit corporation status my ass. In 2009/2010??? Definitely. Now? Uh uh. I think CMP needs new management.

Also, does anybody really know whats going on with the CMP lately? Ive heard rumors that I cant repeat online, heard a bunch of disgruntled guys offline about the CMP in the last few years.

Just venting...with the NRA you KNOW where you stand. The NRA is a for profit corporation and nobody pretends to be on the cheap there. Plus, you can discuss gun politics on NRA and they actually like that there. CMP pretends to be this non profit corporation but they are starting to charge for profit prices and you cant discuss gun politics at CMP. And CMP gets their stuff from the U.S. Army, except for their ammo. Its like they are subsidized by the U.S. government and then behave as a for profit corporation and then claim to be a non profit corporation. I got a problem with that attitude CMP is putting out lately.
    All M1 Garand rifles coming into the CMP's possession for resale, should be sold only to buyers who have shot an M1 Garand at a registered M1 match once a year. M1 Garand sales to non shooters should cease completely and immediately. If you want to buy M1s, you should be REQUIRED to shoot minimum one formal match per year, every year.

RT40 (banned permanently) from the CMP forum

Lots of changes going on with the new leadership.
    !

And the "new leadership" is awful. It was best when Gary Anderson was head of the CMP. If the CMP is going to run themselves like a for profit gunstore, they need to FILE as a for profit corporation. Not as a non profit corporation. The lies and lines of bs need to end with the modern CMP.

I know CMP is ultimately controlled by Congress, I think its time to start writing some letters complaining about the "new management" of the CMP and how they seem to be running it like a gunstore. And not so much as a non profit corporation they have filed as being.

Broaching this complaint with CMP directly is a waste of time because they will just bring out their "its a supply and demand problem and issue. Stop your whining nad complaining." Uh uh...if they are going to ACT as for profit corporation, they need to FILE as a for profit corporation and get rid of that stupid group of Board of Trustees they have, all but one or two have never picked up a high power rifle in their life btw. Except to sell to customers or hand the rifle to some winner while their picture is being taken to have it published in a CMP publication.

The bs needs to end. For profit or non profit. Which is it, CMP?

Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    Lots of changes going on with the new leadership.
    All M1 Garand rifles coming into the CMP's possession for resale, should be sold only to buyers who have shot an M1 Garand at a registered M1 match once a year. M1 Garand sales to non shooters should cease completely and immediately. If you want to buy M1s, you should be REQUIRED to shoot minimum one formal match per year, every year.

I cant understand why you would even pay $25 for such a simple task as maintenance. Nothing they will teach you that you cant learn for free
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I learned how to disassemble and reassemble the garand just by following the
    instructions in the armorer's corner on the cmp website.
    Very easy and free.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

I already know how to do all that stuff, yeah I learned it on my own by reading the manuals and the CMP forum and over the years. I just wanted to take that webinar. They are covering some more advanced stuff like timing and headspacing and they claim, rear sights and I particularly like learning everything I can about the M1 rear sights as I think its one of the keys to shooting that particular rifle...having properly set up rear M1 sights that are mechanically repeatable. Again, on that I already know about all there is to know but I can always pick up another detail here and there.

Its just the principle. $25.00 to $100.00 in three weeks for like you mentioned, "very basic info." Im floored and it irritates me. Im not attacking you, Im just saying I think the CMP needs to end their little line of bs they continue to mask around in that they are a non profit corporation...non profit my ass CMP operates more like a for profit. What are they selling Nightforce scopes for on their e-store now? Last place in the world I'd buy a Nightforce scope from would be the CMP. Whats a nightforce scope got to do with learning basic rifle marksmanship? That all started I observed with the "new management." Nothing wrong with Nightforce scopes, but CMP aint the place to sell them off of, UNLESS CMP wants to transition to a for profit corporation and FILE the correct paperwork and just admit things.

[/I]
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    I cant understand why you would even pay $25 for such a simple task as maintenance. Nothing they will teach you that you cant learn for free

Yeah I know, I already know all that stuff I just wanted to take that webinar, but $100 is a bit much unless its uber duper professional.

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I learned how to disassemble and reassemble the garand just by following the
    instructions in the armorer's corner on the cmp website.
    Very easy and free.

Whatever the market will bear.

That is the phrase all pricing structures should be based on in a free society.

It's $100 because people will pay it. I wonder why people are willing to pay that much. All the information they present is out there on the interwebs for free. YouTube, forums and the CMP's own site (as mentioned above) all can get you thru any M1 maintenance task.

So what's the motivation? To get a piece of paper saying the CMP thinks you know what you are doing? To go into business with the certificate on the wall of the shop?
    !

You are missing my main point, entirely. Your claim about the free market applies to FOR PROFIT corporations. I have no problem with CMP operating like this if they want to file as a FOR PROFIT corporation. However, CMP is and has been historically and by Congressional charter, filing as a NON PROFIT corporation, like the Boy Scouts of America, the American Red Cross, Goodwill, The Salvation Army, and many other non profits.

The goal of a non profit is not to make money, the goal of a non profit corporation, BY LAW in our free society, is something else. In this case, its education regarding rifle marksmanship, heavily subsidized by the United States Army via the supply of Army surplus rifles.

CMP should act and behave as a non profit corporation, or they will ultimately end up finding themselves in trouble with the law.

Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    Whatever the market will bear.

That is the phrase all pricing structures should be based on in a free society.

It's $100 because people will pay it. I wonder why people are willing to pay that much. All the information they present is out there on the interwebs for free. YouTube, forums and the CMP's own site (as mentioned above) all can get you thru any M1 maintenance task.

So what's the motivation? To get a piece of paper saying the CMP thinks you know what you are doing? To go into business with the certificate on the wall of the shop?

I have to agree with Erick on this one. If they were a not-for-profit entity the rifles would still sell for $94.50 and you'd still only be allowed one per lifetime.
    Jon