Thread: 5.56 nato /. 223

5.56 nato /. 223

Can 5.56 and. 223 use the same die set for reloading? Can the brass be intermingled or must it be segregated?
    Thanks
    Jon

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    The only difference between the brass is that the 5.56 military brass has a thicker wall.All of my brass is mixed together,and no problem in a .223.
    I use the same die,I don't discriminate.lol
    Last edited by Prince Humperdink; 10-07-2015 at 06:43 PM.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    here is some info I found to explain,and is for loaded ammo.
    http://bearingarms.com/223-remington...ould-hurt-you/
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Hmm, same difference as 7.62 NATO and .308, thicker case wall on the NATO.

Yes. Same dies.
    !

What I learned about it is pretty simple.

You can shoot either of the two types if its loaded, factory ammo out of either a 5.56 NATO chambered AR OR is chambered in one of the hybrid, high power chambers like the Wylde chamber that is default with Rock River Arms National Match ARs or White Oak Armament NM AR-15 uppers.

But you CANNOT shoot factory ammo chambered in 5.56 NATO factory ammo out of an AR-15 chambered in a tighter .223 chambered AR-15. The pressures are too high and you will wear out your barrel faster and even damage the rifle.

For reloading, it does not matter. You can take once fired 5.56 NATO brass, resize it in a .223 full sizing die and its good to go.
    All M1 Garand rifles coming into the CMP's possession for resale, should be sold only to buyers who have shot an M1 Garand at a registered M1 match once a year. M1 Garand sales to non shooters should cease completely and immediately. If you want to buy M1s, you should be REQUIRED to shoot minimum one formal match per year, every year.

RT40 (banned permanently) from the CMP forum

Thanks guys. Now the question I forgot: standard or small base sizing dies?
    Thanks
    Jon

I thought you hated AR-15s? What is up with the interest in 5.56/.223?
    All M1 Garand rifles coming into the CMP's possession for resale, should be sold only to buyers who have shot an M1 Garand at a registered M1 match once a year. M1 Garand sales to non shooters should cease completely and immediately. If you want to buy M1s, you should be REQUIRED to shoot minimum one formal match per year, every year.

RT40 (banned permanently) from the CMP forum

Jon doesnt want to admit it here but he has come over to the dark side
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I started with the RCBS X-Die, it didn't take long until I didn't like it for a variety of reasons. I really like my Dillon carbide die. Is big $ but it'll last a gajillion rounds. Many do not like the SB dies saying it over works the brass and is not necessary. If you are buying once fired brass then there is a good chance it was machine gun fired. If that's the case then you'll be glad you bought the SB die.
    !