Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken bolt...

Broken bolt...

I took my carbine out to do some shooting this weekend for the first time in a few years and the bolt broke. The rifle was shooting fine for about 40 rnds of slow fire before the bolt failure. The bolt broke at the base of the lobe that connects to the op rod. This is the second time this has happened with this rifle. The bolt is USGI. The ammo I am shooting is wolf steel case that I bought from the CMP. I am not sure what's going on, any advice would be great? Thanks.

Early production flat bolts were known to break at that area. I would suggest getting
    a round bolt. The bugs were worked out by then.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

This was a round bolt that broke. I am not sure really what direction to take on this.

I hope you checked head space after replacing the bolt the first time. Also check the slide and receiver for worn spots
    or grooves that would prevent the bolt from moving smoothly. If the bolt is not fully closed, the rifle might fire but
    only a portion of the lug is against the receiver and that would put too much pressure on the lug.
    Once you install the new bolt, checked head space, everything lubed, and after you load the first
    round, make sure the bolt is fully closed and the slide all the way forward touching the piston. I
    would do that for every shot for a while.

Maybe you just got unlucky and got a bad replacement bolt.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

i didn't replace the bolt the first time, the cmp did. I assumed they checked the head space.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter44 View Post
    i didn't replace the bolt the first time, the cmp did. I assumed they checked the head space.
    I wouldn't assume that cmp would check head space but since you sent the rifle back to them, they should have checked it.

The last service grade garand I mail ordered from cmp had a rusty trigger assembly, a bolt that didn't head space,
    and a firing pin was so rusty inside the bolt that I needed a screwdriver to pry out the firing pin.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I wouldn't assume that cmp would check head space but since you sent the rifle back to them, they should have checked it.

The last service grade garand I mail ordered from cmp had a rusty trigger assembly, a bolt that didn't head space,
    and a firing pin was so rusty inside the bolt that I needed a screwdriver to pry out the firing pin.
    Now now Jak, we all know that the CMP test fires every rifle before shipping.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Yep, you're right. We know that no shenanigans ever occur at cmp
    John

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Okay, Yes, If you really want to believe that...Firing them is Possible, but i beleive that some fall thru the black hole and are shipped, anyway..

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    Early production flat bolts were known to break at that area. I would suggest getting
    a round bolt. The bugs were worked out by then.
    certainly the first Time I have read about the carbine bolts breaking...I know, I have noticed a lot more round bolts in the rifles..