Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie wanting veterans opinion....

Patriot
    PTC is right on, surplus 7.62x51 (308) should be around a lot longer than surplus 30-06. Surplus XM80 (about the 308 equivalent to M2 ball) can be had for as little as $.50 a round. Palmetto State Armory has it on sale often.

Justin

Founding Member

Choices...

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    I am not sure why you had accuracy problems with CMP rifles unless you bought the lowest grades or its being a unexperinced high power shooter. Garands are not match rifles but War rifles.
    As far as 30.06 vs 308 thats a coin toss .
    I cant comment on the Mini G but as far as full sized Garands my Navy 7.62 is one of my favorite rifles to shoot
    I don't own a mini-g yet, but i used the Sarco berretta parts and really like my clone typo2 7.62 rifle...Nato ammo should be a round for a while....longer than HPX....IMHO...Ford versus Chevy, not any longer, Toyota moved in..

Junior Cadet
    Thanks Orlando, I will take you up on that offer. I hope to get out sometime the end of this week. But it just depends on my families schedual. As for caliber choice I'm still up in the air. I like the idea of going to .308. Maybe ill do it in stages. Have Tim convert when I have the mini g's created. And stick with 06 for the stock m1 until I run out of ammo.

Junior Cadet
    I went with .308 on my mag-fed Mini-G. It runs flawlessly. I just ordered another Garand from CMP. Tim will eventually be getting that one to convert to a Mini-G, no mag on this one. This will also be .308, because I know .308 will be around for a very long time.