Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wow! Packed To The Rafters!

Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    Whatever the hell we want.
    Canes, since you're in IT, you must also laugh at both the forum's who try to raise money to "keep the forum open" and at those on a forum who will want to close a thread to "save bandwidth". It costs less then $20 a year to keep some forum's open. Even a Vbulletion forum like the CMP or this one is less than $100 a year. A forum is cheap and I highly advise people to not fall for memberships on them where you are paying to support the forum and given some sort of status to do so. I fell for that once, just once. Then I got a forum and laughed at myself.

There is always a laugh to be had when it comes to solicited donations. Bandwidth useage for a forum cant be too great. I've never done a study on it but all the big stuff (pics and videos) are usually hosted somewhere else and in turn the forums host doesn't get hit with that part of the load.

For people that solicit donations. Why not? A fool and his money are soon parted. Can't fault a guy for asking. I ran a bulletin board service (precursor to the internet) from 1984 to maybe 1987. I had that thing open for about 2 weeks and decided one day that I wanted to get paid for it. So I started charging $5 for a years access. When the envelopes with the money started showing up to the house my dad had two fits. First was laughing because I was making money and second because I was giving out the home address. Anyway he took me to the PO to get a PO box for that stuff. I soon discovered beer, cars, girls and left that far behind.
    !

I remember bulletin boards. Anyone remember Telnet?
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau