Thread: 1903 front sight installation question

1903 front sight installation question

I installed a new front sight base on my 1903, but now the spline notch and pin hole on the base do not match. It appears that the notch on the spline needs to be drilled out to match the pin opening. Is this standard procedure when installing a new base? or am I missing something. All parts are USGI, want to make sure i am going about this correctly, any help would be great.

Colter, I'm missing something. There is very little room on the 1903 sight base to screw up the pin hole. Is it too far forward, back, or what? Anyway, 1/64 front or back shouldn't make a difference as far as where the base sits. Stu
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 11-15-2015 at 04:04 PM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

It is not an issue of being to far forward or backward. The notch on the spline does not appear to be big enough to accommodate the pin, if that makes sense.

I believe the hole in the sight and the spline were drilled at the same time in a jig. You could try another sight, but that is no guarantee. I understand you may be reluctant about filing on the barrel. I would. What about a smaller pin?
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Not sure that would get it. The spline has the pin hole almost half obstructed, I think drilling or filing may be the only way to go.

Colter, a small round file may be the way to go. It is not uncommon to see the barrel itself grooved for the pin.

Where can I pick up such a small file at?

Hobby shop. Maybe Home Depot