Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CMP 1911 pricing is out

With cheap Filipino 1911s going for $400, I fail to see the attraction of a mix master 1911 with a substandard slide for $1,000.

What the CMP might be selling is what I have been passing on for less money in gun stores for years.

If the CMP had matching and correct 1911s, I could understand huge prices but a mixmaster isn't very historically interesting and since you can get a better 1911 for less money, curiosity seems to be the only value.

I learned to shoot with an unissued Remington Rand. It seems really stupid now. It was a nice gun, pretty tight and accurate but it hadn't been rearsenaled a few times. I imagine a CMP gun will be very sloppy by comparison. Although the Remington Rand was nice, I have shot better which is why it was so stupid to break it's cherry.

I haven't shopped recently but I bet there are plenty of good series 70 Colts for around $1,000 and that is a superior 1911 to anything surplus.

The last 1911 I bought was a $120 Norinco frame, slide and barrel project. It is metallurgically superior and M1911A1 spec. I won't feel bad about peening the rails, squeezing the slide, cutting it for a beaver tail safety, stippling or anything else I might want to do. The best part is I'll be able to do all of that for less than $1,000.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LEAD POISON View Post
    These eggs haven't hatched yet.
    Exactly, Getting worked up, and if for sale will all be over in one days time...I hope they enjoy them, but for those prices, I'M OUT.....just watching all the speculation, next it will be some gold-plated Patton pistols..

I bought this 1918 M1911 almost 10 years ago. It's been refinished, but it is a very nice pistol. I don;t shoot it all that much, so I guess I could find something else to spend $1000 on.....maybe apply that sum to a nice C96....I've been wanting to add one of those to my collection. I would hope that the CMP, whenever they put these up for sale,
    have them out at the stores so we can pick them out ourselves. Guess I would have to look at them to really decide.

Meanwhile......Here are a few pics of my 1918 Colt 1911. I have two two-tone magazines. Holster is El Paso Sadlery; Belt and pouches are original.

1918_Colts1.jpg1918_Colts2.jpg1918_Colts_crop.jpg

Junior Cadet
    I inherited one of my Colt 1911A1's and got the other several years back. If I buy one from the CMP, it's as much to support the CMP as anything else.

I love 1911s and still have a couple. One or more of the 1911A1s I was issued may well be among the mix but I wouldn't know it if it was placed in front of me. We were always among the first to get new items but we were among the last to turn in our 1911s for Berettas. We didn't want to give up our .45s for 9mms, tried not to via various Request for Exception to Policy memos, and only relinquished them when big army forced us to.

That said, only a pristine, originally configured, US Govt. 1911A1 would be collectible. Anything else would be a shooter and, considering how the Garands, Carbines, and 1903s went, could have considerable wear and tear and need some sprucing up. But at that price I can get any of a number of modern 1911s brand new from Colt and several other makers. If I wanted a non-collectible 1911A1 model I could even get one of those as a reproduction from Rock Island, Springfield, Iver Johnson, and Fed Ord for anywhere from $400-$800.

There is also a question of whether the pistol can go directly to your door like the rifles. I don't know the answer. But if I have to pay a dealer for transfer and get charged 8% sales tax on top of purchase price + shipping (yes, that's what they do here) then it makes the whole deal even less attractive.

No bother. Within a few years many people who purchased DCM 1911s will be selling them. The market will be flooded and, if I really MUST have an original USGI issue pistol, I will pick one up then for half the cost.

Is this a whine? No, I don't think so. It's a reality check.

What was DCM thinking?

Junior Cadet
    When I wanned to buy Gun Holsters for my 1911 The guy told me that price is going up. I was like what?! They are increasing it more and more and don't change anything!
    I think to sell my 1911 soon so if you are interested please pm me

I received an update from the CMP about the 1911 pistols. There are three grades posted: Service Grade: $1050; Field grade $950 and Rack Grade: $850. Please go to www.thecmp.org to verify these prices. There have reserved some of the pistols to auction only.....these are the really good or maybe rarer ones that people thought they might get for Rack grade prices. Oh....ONLY ONE per customer. If you buy one through their lottery, you cannot buy an auction pistol and vice-versa.

They do not know how many pistols will be available next year. I also do not remember if your Number is not chosen this time, if you will be held over for the next batch or if a new application must be submitted. Again, please view the website or contact them.

They discussed their two levels of background checks......the Army/CMP does not want any of these pistols being returned for any reason. Therefore, they will perform a BG check at CMP level to be certain that you can take possession, then the pistol will be shipped to an FFL who will perform the Their 4473 BG check on you again. If you pass the initial one, the 2nd should only be an inconvenience, but you will still probably be charge for the BG check. C&R licensees will not be honored.

Applications must be submitted by regular mail only and can begin being accepted by a date in September (Please check their website for details). Any applications received prior to that date WILL NOT be accepted nor held.

This is a lot to enter a lottery for a "chance" to purchase a pistol. Does it really matter if these were owned by the military? Is that CMP certificate going to double the resale value of one of these pistols.....if that is all some people are looking for? Many of those certificates get lost and often never get transferred with the gun, so after that, who's to say where the gun came from?

Personally, I already own a nice 1918 Colt. I hardly ever shoot it.
    1918_Colts.jpg

I wonder if this will be an actual lottery. I guess it doesn't matter though because I already have the finest of 1911's.

The CMP said that your application will be given a number and placed into a random number generator, so just because your application arrived first, does not mean that you will be first to purchase. So, it sounds like a lottery to me. And if all the Service grades are gone when your number comes up and you do not want one of the other grades, or if you don;t have the money at that time......I guess you are just SOL. And if there are more applications than there are pistols, I guess those little piggies will get none.

I guess that this depends on one's definition of the word "lottery". If we mean like our past postal shoots where I drew a name out of a hat, then yes it's a lottery. If we mean an outside agency who makes sure that everything is done fairly and no special favors are done for the anointed ones, this may fall short.