Thread: Sending in a Garand For Rebuild

Junior Cadet

Sending in a Garand For Rebuild

Tim,

Sent you an email from your website the other week, but didn't hear back, so figured I'd follow up on here.

I have a Lithgow receiver built up with Springfield, PB, and Danish parts, which I'm guessing is a Century build. I asked you about redoing it previously, and you said that you'd do it as long as it works (which it does; put two clips, and two singles through... which I know isn't a hell of a lot, but it didn't jam and ejected the clips perfectly). I talked to you on this at least a year or two ago. Sorry about not getting it to you, but finally got the time/money aside for it.

I would like to have you refinish the entire rifle (Zinc), put on a new stock set (my current front handguard came cracked when I purchased it, but wood looks like butt), and if possible, a trigger job (I have no idea on the sear's condition... it fires one shot when I pull the trigger, which is about all I can tell you). Adding up everything, I came to $359 for the work... unless you can't do the trigger job ($310).

In regards to pricing, I've looked into the "issues" with commercial receivers. From what I read, a USGI stock will not fit without a little bit of work, so if there is more cost associated with that, no problem… just wanted to know since I was planning on paying with a USPS money order (more on that below).

Also, I wanted to see if you could do two other requests. First, I picked up a newish spring set... so wanted to see if you could change them out (if it was an AR or a S&W revolver, I’d have no problem, but I am far from knowledgeable on Garands). Second, I would like to see if you could go over the rifle and make sure it is good in regards to safety/function. I did fire it, but when I was at the range, I definitely was cringing when I pulled the trigger. I want to shoot the rifle, being the VAR barrel is like brand new, but rather have some type of confidence when shooting it. If the receiver is not in specs, I'd definitely would try to find a stripped receiver for you to swap in... if that is something you'd do. I’ve really heard a lot on your skill with Garands, so if you are going to redoing it, I’d really like for you to give it a once over.

If there is anything that is worn or needs replacing, I definitely would like to do it before I have you redo the rifle. I had DGR redo a M1903, and got it back with a windage knob not working correctly (I know it was working before I sent it in, since I replaced the slider). I spent over $1,000 for his work, which the rifle did come out in great condition, but was very upset when it was all said and done. Only good thing was I did a USMC sniper copy with it, so with a scope mounted, I'm not using the rear sight that much.

In regards to payment, I figure there are a few things that could change the price. Wanted to see if you wanted to go over the gun, come up with a total, then I can send the correct amount? No problem with sending in one of the figured prices above ($310 or $359), and then another when you figure out how much more anything else would cost. I was looking to send the rifle out to you either this upcoming week or the following one. Either way, I’m definitely going to have you do the work… regardless of price (or if I need to get another receiver, then send it in to you). Want a good looking and shooting Garand when it is all said and done... so if I was that worried about costs, I'm definitely in the wrong hobby.

Thanks for your time.

Respectfully,

-John

The best way to contact me is directly through email. Depending on your browser, it seems, mail doesn't always get to me when the tool on my website is used.

I don't do business on this site, sorry it just seems coarse to do it here. Just copy and paste this thread and email it to me at [email protected] .

Junior Cadet
    No problem. Sending it now.