Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court Justice Scalia found dead of natural causes

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
    So, all you Constitutional experts on BT....my take is that the President can not make a recess appointment to the Supreme Court.
    Am I reading this correctly?

http://nypost.com/2014/06/26/supreme...-appointments/
    Have you not heard? This "President", the "Constitutional Professor", can, and will, do whatever he damn pleases. I have yet to see the RINO's in the Congress stand up to anything that he wants.

It is time to end the Political Party system, end the "candidate with the most money wins" philosophy and end the Electoral College. Let anyone who wants to be President make his or her best arguments to the American People, let them all be on the Ballot and let the American People decide, by popular vote, who they want to be their Leader. And by "People", I mean "Taxpayers". If you don't pay money into the Government, you don't get to vote who will represent you to spend that money.

The loss of Justice Scalia is just another blow to a dying America. As soon as it was announced that he was dead, the first thing that the Liberal Media wanted to know was who would replace him and how quickly Obama could do that. No respect or common decency what-so-ever.

Quote Originally Posted by KnickKnack View Post
    Have you not heard? This "President", the "Constitutional Professor", can, and will, do whatever he damn pleases. I have yet to see the RINO's in the Congress stand up to anything that he wants.

It is time to end the Political Party system, end the "candidate with the most money wins" philosophy and end the Electoral College. Let anyone who wants to be President make his or her best arguments to the American People, let them all be on the Ballot and let the American People decide, by popular vote, who they want to be their Leader. And by "People", I mean "Taxpayers". If you don't pay money into the Government, you don't get to vote who will represent you to spend that money.

The loss of Justice Scalia is just another blow to a dying America. As soon as it was announced that he was dead, the first thing that the Liberal Media wanted to know was who would replace him and how quickly Obama could do that. No respect or common decency what-so-ever.
    Our founders feared a populace democracy and that's why we don't have a pure populace vote. I think they had good reason to fear this.

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/the...toral-college/

Q: Why does the U.S. have an Electoral College?
    A: The framers of the Constitution didn’t trust direct democracy.

FULL QUESTION:
    Why does the United States have an Electoral College when it would be so easy to directly elect a president, as we do for all the other political offices?
    FULL ANSWER:
    When U.S. citizens go to the polls to "elect" a president, they are in fact voting for a particular slate of electors. In every state but Maine and Nebraska, the candidate who wins the most votes (that is, a plurality) in the state receives all of the state’s electoral votes. The number of electors in each state is the sum of its U.S. senators and its U.S. representatives. (The District of Columbia has three electoral votes, which is the number of senators and representatives it would have if it were permitted representation in Congress.) The electors meet in their respective states 41 days after the popular election. There, they cast a ballot for president and a second for vice president. A candidate must receive a majority of electoral votes to be elected president.
    The reason that the Constitution calls for this extra layer, rather than just providing for the direct election of the president, is that most of the nation’s founders were actually rather afraid of democracy. James Madison worried about what he called "factions," which he defined as groups of citizens who have a common interest in some proposal that would either violate the rights of other citizens or would harm the nation as a whole. Madison’s fear – which Alexis de Tocqueville later dubbed "the tyranny of the majority" – was that a faction could grow to encompass more than 50 percent of the population, at which point it could"sacrifice to its ruling passion or interest both the public good and the rights of other citizens." Madison has a solution for tyranny of the majority: "A republic, by which I mean a government in which the scheme of representation takes place, opens a different prospect, and promises the cure for which we are seeking."
    As Alexander Hamilton writes in "The Federalist Papers," the Constitution is designed to ensure "that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications." The point of the Electoral College is to preserve "the sense of the people," while at the same time ensuring that a president is chosen "by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice."
    In modern practice, the Electoral College is mostly a formality. Most electors are loyal members of the party that has selected them, and in 26 states, plus Washington, D.C., electors are bound by laws or party pledges to vote in accord with the popular vote. Although an elector could, in principle, change his or her vote (and a few actually have over the years), doing so is rare.
    As the 2000 election reminded us, the Electoral College does make it possible for a candidate to win the popular vote and still not become president. But that is less a product of the Electoral College and more a product of the way states apportion electors. In every state but Maine and Nebraska, electors are awarded on a winner-take-all basis. So if a candidate wins a state by even a narrow margin, he or she wins all of the state’s electoral votes. The winner-take-all system is not federally mandated; states are free to allocate their electoral votes as they wish.
    The Electoral College was not the only Constitutional limitation on direct democracy, though we have discarded most of those limitations. Senators were initially to be appointed by state legislatures, and states were permitted to ban women from voting entirely. Slaves got an even worse deal, as a slave officially was counted as just three-fifths of a person. The 14th Amendment abolished the three-fifths rule and granted (male) former slaves the right to vote. The 17th Amendment made senators subject to direct election, and the 19th Amendment gave women the right to vote.

And another take, http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...l_college.html

On recess appointments
    To remain in effect, a recess appointment must be approved by the Senate by the end of the next session of Congress, or the position becomes vacant again.

Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution:
    The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.
    The Maxims ....
    14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"*
    34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
    37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Let's see what they say in the debate tonight

Well watched the debate...WTF...other then Carson the whole lot looked like some real nut jobs. Have to admit, Trump is a real bomb thrower and the other dumb asses appear unable to counter his attacks, rather they just take the bait and lapse into arguing with a guy who really could care less about being President. And,,,,Cruz and Rubio should be seasoned enough to avoid that crap....but no they just fall prey to Trump. Some say Trump is on an ego rampage and will grow tired of the whole deal and drop off....in a ways that's what I think. Problem is by that time some who support the Republican will flee to the other two insane old white people Sanders or Clinton. What a cluster this runup to the elections is proving to be. Obama and the far left have to be laughing their ass off. Won't even mention Scalia's passing which really raises the pot. My head is spinning trying to process it all as are many others. Can only imagine N. Korea, Iran, ISIS and the rest of their kind are running overtime to exploit the lack of leadership this country has. Shit, they may just as well run the short little fat guy in N. Korea as a contender, discover a fake birth certificate saying he's the long lost son of Dezi Arnez or some such thing, as he would be in equal company to the jagoffs running now. Lucy....we're in big trouble!
    Last edited by ordmm; 02-14-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Did anyone check if he had a visit from the Clintons of their associates????????

Mike
    Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
    http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Time to feed the pigs!!!!!!

The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

Quote Originally Posted by axemurderer View Post
    Did anyone check if he had a visit from the Clintons of their associates????????

Mike
    Or if he shot himself in the back of the head using his non dominate hand.

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Or if he shot himself in the back of the head using his non dominate hand.
    Or most probably, as my doctor rags on me about, old people die for sure, but being a lard ass pretty much hastens the event. Obviously the man lived a great life, the size of his family attests to that, but we all have to go some time. Just wish he could have waited another year or so.

Or most probably, as my doctor rags on me about, old people die for sure, but being a lard ass pretty much hastens the event. Obviously the man lived a great life, the size of his family attests to that, but we all have to go some time. Just wish he could have waited another year or so.
    No doubt he was hitting the cannoli.

Founding Member
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Patriot
    Well watched the debate...WTF...other then Carson the whole lot looked like some real nut jobs. Have to admit, Trump is a real bomb thrower and the other dumb asses appear unable to counter his attacks, rather they just take the bait and lapse into arguing with a guy who really could care less about being President. And,,,,Cruz and Rubio should be seasoned enough to avoid that crap....but no they just fall prey to Trump. Some say Trump is on an ego rampage and will grow tired of the whole deal and drop off....in a ways that's what I think. Problem is by that time some who support the Republican will flee to the other two insane old white people Sanders or Clinton. What a cluster this runup to the elections is proving to be. Obama and the far left have to be laughing their ass off. Won't even mention Scalia's passing which really raises the pot. My head is spinning trying to process it all as are many others. Can only imagine N. Korea, Iran, ISIS and the rest of their kind are running overtime to exploit the lack of leadership this country has. Shit, they may just as well run the short little fat guy in N. Korea as a contender, discover a fake birth certificate saying he's the long lost son of Dezi Arnez or some such thing, as he would be in equal company to the jagoffs running now. Lucy....we're in big trouble!
    I watched the debate. They did mention Scalia's passing right out of the chute.

I don't there is a single candidate, on either side, that can run this Country as President. Every time I think there is someone that I can vote for, they either shoot themselves in the foot or drop out of the race.

I'm pretty sure that in Iowa Democrats rigged the Delegates in favor of Hillary. I also think that Democrats caucused for the Republican candidate that they thought would lose to Hillary.

Same in New Hampshire. Republicans crossed the line to vote for Bernie, to beat Hillary, and Dems crossed over to vote for Kasich, who can't possibly win against Hillary.

Right now, we are in big, big trouble. If it comes down to Hillary or Trump, it won't matter. We'll still get a Liberal again. If it's Hillary, our Enemies will continue to walk all over us and World War III will escalate. It it's Trump, he'll lead us deeper and deeper into WWIII, only it will be with nukes.

I have been a Republican since I was 18. But this is the third Presidential Election in a row that the Republican Party has lead us down the path to defeat. If they can't get their act together, the Republican Party is done. Their base is too old, too outdated for them to survive. I, along with many others, will file as an independent, if most of them haven't already.

I honestly believe, and have for some time, that the United States is headed for a split into 3 separate Countries. The West Coast, including Colorado, Nevada Arizona and New Mexico; the East Coast, from Maine to Maryland, and the rest in the middle, combined with the South. The population has become too large to be workable. The Government has become too large to control. And the split between those 3 regions has become too deep to maintain the Union.
    Last edited by KnickKnack; 02-15-2016 at 03:53 AM.