Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suppressing an M1 Garand

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1747261_.html

Here Tim I found this. Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by garandtom View Post
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1747261_.html

Here Tim I found this. Hope it helps!
    Thank you!

Edit, that's the page Greg sent me. Thank you both.

Junior Cadet

Schuster plug

I have been trying to intrest someone to fabricate one, no luck.
    If you can it going, I will surely pick up a couple.
    I have lately been distracted by suppressing a M1a & Socom M1a, really good stuff.
    Wishing you good luck. Art1 The Schuster plug, works well on the blow back.
    Last edited by Art1; 04-16-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: add to

Junior Cadet
    Tim, I have several suppressors. I use the Saker 7.62 on my M1A, HK93, and several short barreled AR15's. I haven't had any issues with gas blow back in my face. I am a lefty so I should have it worse than the right handed shooters. I belong to several forums and have heard the same comments over and over again. Some of the platforms that I shoot I hear people complaining about. I really don't get it unless you are super sensitive. I have shot thousands of rounds through my suppressors and issued suppressors, so if there was a major issue I would have encountered by now. I have thought about having a mount made for my Mini G but you have to get the threads absolutely concentric with the bore. Using an existing flash suppressor to mill down has a risk of having a baffle strike because the tolerances might not be tight enough. I would highly suggest using a flash suppressor alignment gague before shooting through the suppressor. If you work it out I would love to have one for my Mini G. I would definitely be on a list for one.

Cadet
    How much gas is escaping from the rear of the cylinder when the rod is at full cycle....this may be a point of sound...just guessing as gas does vent there..

That's one of the reason the piston ARs are popular for suppressors. What gas isn't needed, gets vented out. The M14 should be a bit better than the M1 in that respect because of the bleed hole in the gas cylinder. You might check out OSS suppressors. They're quite unique in their design since they don't use a baffle type system

Quote Originally Posted by Parga View Post
    That's one of the reason the piston ARs are popular for suppressors. What gas isn't needed, gets vented out. The M14 should be a bit better than the M1 in that respect because of the bleed hole in the gas cylinder. You might check out OSS suppressors. They're quite unique in their design since they don't use a baffle type system
    On my Garand's, what gas isn't needed is also vented out. I use a Schuster.

Suppressed gas piston ARs are popular because they don't dump so much gas in to the receiver.

The main problem seems to be that the suppressor creates lots of dwell which means the bolt opens before the gas pressure in the barrel gets vented at the muzzle so you get gas blowing out at you through the chamber.

There isn't much you can do about that unless you managed to somehow tap the gas past the suppressor. Maybe an integral barrel suppressor could do that but it would probably not work with standard ammo.

Thinking about an integral barrel suppressor, maybe you could make one that is built in the shape of the gas block and front hand guard and has the gas block built in to it. Not a simple project.