Thread: 30.06 Blank Ammo Questions

30.06 Blank Ammo Questions

I have a more than a few 50's era Twin Cities 30.06 blank ammo. I also have a couple of different styles of bfa's. My questions, what happens to that large red plug in the cartridge mouth? Do I use it with a bfa? Will it gum up the bfa quickly? Thanks for any info.ZB.

Yes, you need a BFA to cycle the weapon. The plug is more or less vaporized and consumed in the flash and you won't find much evidence of it when you clean the barrel and BFA.
    I use the red plug blanks in my reenactment M1s with no problems at all. I use both the Hollywood style BFA's with different inserts for different blanks and the USGI style BFA. For the red plug m1909's, I use the .173 opening. For the current M1909 crimped blanks, I go with a .187. The older USGI red plugs shoot just as well as current issued blanks but are more 'dirty' and the rifles require a very thorough cleaning after each event.
    Last edited by Schriv; 04-02-2016 at 08:50 AM.
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.