Thread: Got My Garand Back...

Junior Cadet

Got My Garand Back...

Well, I actually got it back a few days ago, but have been sick... so I finally got to take some pictures to post.

Was a Century build with a Lithgow receiver, Danish VAR barrel, and mix of Springfield and PB parts. Looked crappy, wood didn't match (front handguard was cracked), but shot nice. For the price I picked it up, it was worth the investment.

Tim did a great job on it... as it looks perfect. Wood is just stunning, and really what a Garand should have on it. Completely happy with how I got the rifle back.

I did notice the windage knob will move the elevation in certain instances, but not going to go into it until I get some time to zero it.

I picked up a Springfield Trapdoor prior to sending this out, and have a Yugo M48A that I'm trying to clean up (great condition, just Cosmoline on everything)... but once I get finished messing around with those two, I think I'm going to try to find a mix/match Garand and send it in to convert to a Mini-G. Figured it would be a nice partner to that one.

Thank you for your business Sir.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Thank you for your business Sir.
    You are definitely welcome. Thank you for your work.

Can I ask the specifics on the wood? Type? Stain?

I stained my Yugo SKS and Mosin Nagant back when I cleaned them up (Minwax Golden Oak, with their Wipe-On Poly), and was considering doing something with a similar look as the Garand to the M48A.

Fairtrimmers Military oX. Slight dash of chestnut ridge.

Looks good! What is the Lithgow's quality compared to others?

Quote Originally Posted by ZBeast View Post
    Looks good! What is the Lithgow's quality compared to others?
    I can only speak for this rifle, it was pretty good. I've seen other Lithgow that were terrible though. Many don't even allow the bolt to clear the top of the receiver as it travels rearward.

Junior Cadet
    When I picked the rifle, there were two other Garands next to it, but both were tagged as sold. Think both were Springfields. The salesman made it out like the low serial number was a huge thing (just below 400), and gave me an elaborate story about the Danes building the rifle.

It didn't add up (wouldn't be that different in finishes if was a military rifle, and the wood was terrible), but the price was low enough that the barrel and parts were about there. Even if the Springfields were available, the price difference was pretty noticeable. I was able to check the barrel, and it was pretty much brand new. I picked it up, then researched my purchase later... and was pissed! Everywhere I saw how these receivers were like grenades. Saw the Fulton Armory write up, but when I compared my receiver to the pictures, it looked closer to the USGI receiver they were using in the example. With that being said, I still was shaking when I fired the first round.

I looked very hard into the subject, and while there definitely are Lithgow receivers that are trash, quite a few were fine. As with most things with the internet, one or two issues turn into 100,000s when it is regurgitated enough times. There likely are more negative reviews of Lithgow Garand receivers than there is Lithgow Garand receivers.

If someone was going into a purchase of one (with my experience/research up to where I'm at now), I'd suggest having a gunsmith look at it. I'd price it as if you were buying a parts kit... that way if you are unfortunate to get a bad receiver, you aren't out that much (maybe a transfer, depending from source). If it is the same price as a USGI rifle... go USGI. I don't feel the forged verses cast will be big in most uses, so I really don't put too much stock into it (M1As are cast receivers). For one that I wanted to shoot and have Tim make it look that awesome, it was a great investment.